John Day River Oregon - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2012   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
John Day River Oregon

I'll be floating from Twickenham to Clarno on the John Day in Oregon next week with a pretty good sized group (12). I realize it's a pretty lazy float, we're mostly looking to relax and hopefully hook into a bunch of smallies. If anyone has any tips advice etc, I would appreciate it.

Larry-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012   #2

Kirkland, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
Go Service Creek to Clarno if you have the time - the upper part has fewer irrigation pumps (noise), more canyon and better campsites - below Cathedral Rock no canyon and no campsites and all irrigation pumps. Best camp site that we stayed at was within a mile or so of the put-in below Service Creek which can easily hold 12 people
mdconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #3

Boise, Idaho
That's what we had hoped to do but we have 4 days and that didn't seem like enough time. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012   #4

Aurora, Oregon
Paddling Since: 5
herdsire

Just did that same float a couple of weeks ago. Only in 3 days (4 days would be better). The last camp sites are about 11 miles upstream from the Clarno takeout. For the last 10 miles, the river gets pretty lazy and (as most rivers)the wind can get bad in the afternoons. We pushed off a little before 9AM and were able to get to the takeout before noon with some steady rowing. Beware that the ramp at Clarno is very small and tends to get very congested because of the boaters putting in for the longer Clarno to Cottonwood run. Overall, it's a very pretty and relaxing float.
herdsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Great bass fishing... I grew up on the john day... Just make sure you get off the river before evening... The wind on that flat water will push you up stream... Also take some shade.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #6

Kirkland, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
Two weeks ago got caught in howling upstream winds below Owl Rock - hard rowing for one hour got me a half mile. What kept me going was the current in the riffle I saw downstream only to discover that the seaming riffle was really white caps from a more determined and more continuous upstream blast! And in the attempt to avoid these winds we had awakened at 4:45 and had a full, cooked breakfast and actually launched our loaded rafts at the record early start time of 8:22 that morning. The River Gods were more kindly the next day as we miraculously had a following, downstream wind the last two miles of frog water above the Cottonwood Bridge takeout.

It was all worth it as the afternoon of the difficult winds I waded upstream from our campsite and for 20 minutes did not move my feet in knee deep water as I caught or hooked a (small) bass on the same big dry fly every single cast!
mdconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #7

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 07-02-2012   #8

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
If you fly fish take a hopper pattern and work the banks... You can definitely run the sticks and fish at the same time...
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote