jetski's at dotsero? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2011   #1

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
jetski's at dotsero?

Coming back from glenwood I saw 2 jetski's on the colorado at dotsero. I was wondering how far up the colorado you are allowed to have a motor.

g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm pretty sure you can't
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Seen jet boats all up and down Grand Junction, Loma and Ruby HT area of river!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Are you certain they were on the river? They have a waterski lake at the confluence south of I-70. Anyhow, from other discussions I've heard about motorized craft on the river, I believe they are allowed. It's a gray area and I don't think it is posted anywhere that they aren't permitted. At the Two Rivers ramp it is stated they cannot put in there. I thought it said that at the Sand Wash ramp for Desolation that motorized craft are not allowed but then I've heard people suggest motoring the first day to get away from bugs. Nothing like a few rocks and rapids to separate the rubber from the steel!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #5

HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
In most cases on BLM land, motors are perfectly legal, however upstream travel is often not permitted. Probably check w/ local land agencies there, but I bet the motors are good to go.
We had some jet skiers starting to use the Upper C back in the day. As an outfitter we found it far quicker and easier to pressure the private put in/ take out folks to not allow access then to get the BLM to create or change Policy.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #6

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
ya they were definatly on the river heading down streem just after the dotsero put in one stand up and one sit down jet ski. heard it was ok around glenwood just wasn't sure about farther up. thanks all
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7

glenwood springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Snapped a picture of one the other day hauling ass in the flat by Bair ranch.. No pfd of course!
gwoodcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterswhite View Post
In most cases on BLM land, motors are perfectly legal, however upstream travel is often not permitted. Probably check w/ local land agencies there, but I bet the motors are good to go.
We had some jet skiers starting to use the Upper C back in the day. As an outfitter we found it far quicker and easier to pressure the private put in/ take out folks to not allow access then to get the BLM to create or change Policy.
So why be such an ass? If it is legal through the managing agency leave them alone. Will a ski or two really ruin your whole day? If so MOVE. There's more places they can't go than they can.

This BS elitist attitude is the same that we fight from fishermen trying to limit raft/kayak access. WTF does it always have to be "my way or the highway"?

No I don't jet ski. In fact I hate them, however I respect others right to do what they want within the rules of the managing agency. In this case they aren't going to damage resources beyond reason so just let it be.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #9

HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
So why be such an ass? If it is legal through the managing agency leave them alone. Will a ski or two really ruin your whole day? If so MOVE. There's more places they can't go than they can.

This BS elitist attitude is the same that we fight from fishermen trying to limit raft/kayak access. WTF does it always have to be "my way or the highway"?

No I don't jet ski. In fact I hate them, however I respect others right to do what they want within the rules of the managing agency. In this case they aren't going to damage resources beyond reason so just let it be.

Yea, I actually don't care all that much. At the time though we were running commercial and they were weaving between boat and swimmers and it was a significant safety issue. My thought at the time was to have the BLM limit how they can run or what time of day they could run, But it turned out it only took one phone call to keep them out of the private take outs instead of the multil year process the Rec planner at the blm was describing.

Sorry to offend your sensitive feelings.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #10
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The BLM - Colorado River Valley Field Office manages the Upper Colorado section from State Bridge to Bair Ranch. At this time, there are no regulations restricting jet ski use. The BLM is undergoing a Resource Management Plan Revision in which we do look at possibly restricting jet ski use in that area. If you would like to become involved in the Revision and would like to be notified of when the public comment period will be, please go to:
BLM Colorado | Kremmling & Glenwood Springs RMP Revisions | Contact Information
BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote