jefe plastic - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2008   #1

Seward, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1998
jefe plastic

new to forum... just looking for some info here...

I got a chance to buy a slightly used jefe for $650... only been used in a pool for rolling sessions... I need a new creeker for class IV-V and big water...
also, I'm planning to run the Grand Canyon with friends in January.

this boat looks sweet! smooth lines, great outfitting... though I hear the Jefe is prone to cracking... is this a weakness in the plastic welds or in the plastic material itself?

anyone have any experience with this and dealing with LL on replacements?

cheers!

jockomontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008   #2

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post

I got a chance to buy a slightly used jefe for $650... only been used in a pool for rolling sessions... I need a new creeker for class IV-V and big water...

this boat looks sweet! smooth lines, great outfitting... though I hear the Jefe is prone to cracking... is this a weakness in the plastic welds or in the plastic material itself?

cheers!
\

If your boat is warranteed expect to pay 250 for a new hull.

Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Plastic material seems a little brittle. Warranty experience varies from what I've heard. Some will get full replacement within the year period, some will get hull cost (I think $400 w/ shipping charges) within the year or after the 1 year period, and some will get nothing at all if after the 1 year period.

Regardless, you bought used so you will get nothing. The warranty is not transferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post

cheers!
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008   #4

Seward, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1998
jefe plastic

actually... I haven't bought nothin yet... I just have the chance to buy this boat right now and I'm attempting to find out some info from knowledgable folk out there who might know a thing or two about the jefe plastic. comprende?
jockomontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #5

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I just got my new hull and paid 250. Of course I bought it new and it lasted me about 35 days. Not a big Jefe fan or the LL plastic. Boat does pretty good when right side up. I had a hell of a time rolling the boat. I plan on selling this one for 750 if interested. 08 Hull, 06 outfitting. good deal. . .

Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #6

Teacher
I run the CRMS Kayak program. I have had 34 LL kayaks. The only cracking problems that I have personally encountered are in the early models where they did not have a washer under the seat bolt on the first years of the lil Joe, Hoss, Airhead era. That was 1 Joe, 1 hoss, three airheads( lot of torque on a small spot). The only Jefe that I personally know that cracked had been drug over the sierra and back and worn thin.

The nature of molding plastic can lead to thin spots. It seems like a balance between putting enough plastic powder in the mold to be strong and putting so much in that it is a brick. If you search this forum you will find some complaint about every companies' plastic and people who swear by them. My personal experience with LL plastic is that it is solid.

The Jefe got me back into creeking after years of not feeling comfortable in a boat. Stupid Gradient. I think you'll find lots of others had similar experience.

liquidlogic also does extensive boat testing.

http://www.lvmvideo.com/quicktime/BoatTesting.mov

http://www.lvmvideo.com/quicktime/Se...BarTesting.mov

http://www.lvmvideo.com/quicktime/SledgeTest.mov

peter
Old 06-24-2008   #7

Quote:
I had a hell of a time rolling the boat.
I have news for you....it ain't tha boat.
Old 06-24-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ITS THE SHIT .
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The Jefe is a great boat. With that said, some of them do break. Why? B/c they take a good hit. If you look at all the brands of boats, they all break! Go figure right?

I'm in my same Jefe from 2004 and I haven't broken shit. However, I did break a few Riot boats back before they switched plastics.

This year I have seen 1 broken dagger and 2 broken Jackson's.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
"All boats break" is such a worthless observation. The question is, do some break more readily than others and do some companies offer better warranties for those boats than others. My personal observations and from talking with others is that the Jefe plastic tends to be more brittle. Dagger plastic, for instance, seems to get deformed easier, but is less likely to crack (yes, I've seen lots of broken Daggers as well). That said, I don't think the difference is so great from other manufacturers and I like the design so much I'll probably buy another if (when) mine goes.

As for the warranties, it seems like LL is pretty good, but I've seen people get pissed and go to other brands as well.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote