Jefe for river runner? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-27-2009   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Jefe for river runner?

What do y'all think about the jefe as a river runner/big water boat? Especially compared to gus. Thanks.

monterosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
the jefe kicks ass period.. its more of a true creeker but is damn good in big water creeking. i think you would enjoy the remix which has more of a displacement hull with defined chine making it a mix of between displacement and planning. if u aren't planning on a bunch of creeking get a planning hull
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #3
HybridRednek

Salt Lake City/Steamboat Springs, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
Well, I haven't had much experience with the gus, other than seeing friends boat with it. But I have been really impressed with my jefe. I don't know exactly how big of water that you are talking about, but overall with the jefe in creeks and bigger rivers I have never been let down. The back band isn't the best though, a little rough, but I even think that they have fixed that.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have a Jefe and I like it but its not the best big water boat. It is fast and the bow stays up over alot of holes, but the large bow gets knocked off line by strong currents and big wave-holes. It would also like to have a flatter hull and better edges.

Don't get me wrong, its not terrible for big water once you get used to it. You just really have to stay on top of the angle of your boat. Its also great for higher volume creeks because it stays on top of the water so well. I just think an edgier boat like the burn would be better for big water.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
River running/big water boat........personally, I'd say something with more of an edge is going to perform better for what you're looking for.....like a Burn or something similar.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Savage scorpion
Old 01-27-2009   #7

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
good, but there are better

The Jefe is a good all-around boat. If you are getting one on the cheap it may be ideal. Personally, I am of the opinion that these days there are two boat companies that stand far above the rest (I wouldn't look any further than these two). They are Wave Sport and Jackson. Plain and simple, they have they best designs and features by far. That said, yes there are a ton of boat designs, new and old. Most have been enjoyable. The latest designs are better that the old, and the greatest boil down to:
Old 01-27-2009   #8

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
good, but there are better

The Jefe is a good all-around boat. If you are getting one on the cheap it may be ideal. Personally, I am of the opinion that these days there are two boat companies that stand far above the rest (I wouldn't look any further than these two). They are Wave Sport and Jackson. Plain and simple, they have they best designs and features by far. That said, yes there are a ton of boat designs, new and old. Most have been enjoyable. The latest designs are better that the old, and the greatest boil down to:
Old 01-27-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
The gus is by far a better big water boat, it has harder edges, less rocker and is longer than the jefe. The remix looks good for big water as well because of the reasons listed above. In my experience if you load up the stern (for an overnighter) than the jefe performs a lot better in big water because the stern gets push through things more.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #10

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks everyone for your input!
monterosport is offline   Reply With Quote