Jackson Kayak update... In a store near you in April!!! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-09-2004   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Jackson Kayak update... In a store near you in April!!!

Well…

Things are shaping up VERY nicely for the Jackson Kayak launch of boats beginning in mid-April. EJ’s main focus on the boats is to create the lightest, most performing, dry and comfy boats in the industry and from the looks of the first boats we are pulling out of the molds right now, we have excelled far beyond our initial expectations in every way.

First, I will mention the weight… According to the first boats coming out of the shop, the Fun1 (smallest boat in the “Fun” line) is coming at 18LBS YES 18!!!!!! This boat is going to do some amazing things for both kids trying to get into the sport and parents trying to get their family more involved with river sports. The fun 1 is designed specifically for kids, not an adult boat that has been miniaturized for smaller people. EJ’s son Dane, pulled a score at the Pre-Worlds that would have put in 18th in the senior men’s category with this boat and remember that the Fun series isn’t even our full on free style boat. Check out the video of it here from Bliss-Sticks coverage of the worlds, just click on this link and then look to the bottom left under videos… While watching, keep remembering that Dane is only 10!

http://bliss-stick.com/preworlds.php

The third size in the “Fun” series of kayaks is called simply “The Fun” and is designed for EJ’s size (150lbs and about 5”7). For the sake of comparing apples to apples in the weight category, “The Fun” will weigh in at 28lbs!!! Pretty amazing when compared to other 04 boats at 31-34lbs.

In the dryness category, some cool things to know are that we are not putting ANY bolts through the hull of the boat. A fully non-interrupted hull. The average whitewater kayak has roughly 10 bolts that go through the hull in one place or another. That is a big difference when it comes to keeping dry. A quote from EJ this morning goes like this…

“That is right, Dane paddle for two hours in 16,000 cfs breaking waves, surfing at Rock Island at high water today, doing lots of rolls and in 6’ high breaking waves and got out with a boat that was about as wet as your deck with some dew on it. I think I will get him a new skirt because this one is two years old and is a size 30 waist (he is a 23) so I would be interesting to see if we put a piece of paper in his boat and he paddled if he could come out with the paper completely dry. Anyway- There has never been a drier boat. David and I picked a top view shape based on John Mason’s (owner of Mountain Surf) suggestion and made the cockpit shape accordingly to compliment the hull with no holes.”

Now my personal favorite… OUTFITTING!!!

Plain and simple… IT KICKS MAJOR BOOTAY. EJ has had some tricks up his sleeve that never made it to final production of his previous boats and he has pulled out all of them (I think) to make what will be the most advanced and comfy outfitting system in the industry today.

The short version is that we are using a very stiff (expensive) composite beam (as opposed to aluminum) under the seat. This allows us to not worry about building the seat pan as the main component for strength and focus on keeping it made of comfy/cozy foam. The foot brace system is “Bean Bag” in nature and man o man does it feel good on the toes! The bag is filled primarily with strong foam beads. Once you place your feet in the boat… give ‘er a couple pumps of air, and there you are!!! Perfectly modified to your feet in just a second. The bag also acts as front floatation for those unexpected swims…

For more detail, visit the website at www.jacksonkayak.com

Well, I just wanted to get some info out to you all as I can smell the sweetness of Spring around the corner and can’t wait to hit some waves!!!

Just so you know where to find the line of kayaks come April… Here is an alphebetical list of our retailers in Colorado/Idaho…

See you at the MB party tomorrow night!!!!

Colorado…
Durango: 4 Corners
Avon: Alpine Kayak
Steamboat: Backdoor Sports
Ark Valley/Silverthorne: CKS
Denver: Confluence
Ark Valley: Headwaters/RMOC

Idaho…
Boise: Alpenglow

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004   #2

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey Craw
So when are the are we going to DEMO at Confluence. The stink is a rising on the Platte! ~J
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004   #3

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I just got my Kayak magazine and there's a picture of Eric in a prototype. I assume that is the 2 Fun. 28lbs.........That will change the industry if these boats end up performing. How much will the creek boat weigh? Will there be holes in that hull? Center bulkhead?
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004   #4

erdvm1...

Actually that is probably the "Fun"... I haven't seen it yet, but the 1&2 Funs are for kids/smaller folks, the Fun being comparable to the EZ in size and the 4 Fun being sized like the Big EZ...

We are working on the creeker right now, but it won't come out until the fall. Trust me, that although I would prefer to have it out sooner... Clay Wright and EJ are putting together what will be a very advanced design using the proven aspects of Clays boats.

Philly...

Don will have most of his boats by mid to late April. I am sure he will chime in with exact ship dates.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 03-09-2004   #5

Denver, Colorado
no holes?

OK, the no holes thing sounds cool and all, but how is the seat attached? Glue, molded in bosses/mounts, what? And how about the grab loops on the creekers, still no holes?
-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004   #6

Livingston...

Good question. I mentioned that we are using a composite beam as opposed to aluminum. Also there are several points molded into the hull that are used to assist in fitting the cockpit components, but primarily it will stem from the composit beam. It's really slick.

In regards to the creek boat... you can bet it will have very strong grab loops, but at this time we are still in development. That boat will not be out until Fall.

Feel free to find me at the Buzz party. I will be glad to answer whatever questions you have.
Old 03-10-2004   #7

Denver, Colorado
thanks craw

...but no buzz party for me unfortunatly. I'm still in ATL and won't be moving back until the water starts to flow on the front range.
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking