Jackson Funs - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-18-2006   #1

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Jackson Funs

Does anyone know how drastically the Jackson Fun changed with its' redesign? How do the older ones differ as far as volume, speed etc.? Thanks for any help.

Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006   #2

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Woody...

I work for Jackson and can share some detail with you. The new fun line is still built to be strong in the river runner catagory, still rolls better than any boat around, but has a stronger emphasis on playboating than it was in our last design. They are also even more comfy (believe it or not) and have a room for even larger feet for each size.

It's a perfect evolution for those that started out with the first funs and are looking for a bit more flatwater capability.

As you probably know, we use cross link for all of our current model boats, and for the first time we are going to start making our previous or "Classic" models (last mold of the Star and Fun series) in linear plastic and cutting the price down to 799! Linear is much cheaper and we decided that since our third and last year for the previous mold was our best selling year for them, that we would continue to offer them to the public and also allow to cut the price back.

All current JK products will still be Crosslink, but we wanted to offer a cheaper alterantive for those trying to get into the sport, but are looking for new as opposed to used gear.

Check out www.jacksonkayak.com for anymore detail, but the new Funs should all be shipping by the end of December and then the new Stars by mid Feb.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the help. One more question, are there any 2007 Funs in cicrulation then? I've paddled one that a local paddling club ordered direct from Jackson about a month ago, is it likely that this was a new one or an old one?
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006   #4

Denver, Colorado
Hey Craw, did the volumes change in the Funs?
-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #5

It's possible that you paddled a new "Fun" as they have been out for about a month and a half, but the only way to know is what the decal looked like. If it was just the "Funguy" on the back, that was the old one. If it was a huge "FUN" (7x7inches) on the back then you got into one of the new ones.

I will be demo'ing the new boats in Laramie on March 4th in conjunction with our shop up there, so if you can wait till then you can try all sizes.

Livingston:

They are all going to fit a bit a a bigger person than the last mold, but not a ton bigger. It really has more todo with the knee and foot room than the whole boat. Put it this way, I actually fit in a fun now, but it's still not enough volume, so I will still stick with the 4fun.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 11-20-2006   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Craw - So the linear plastic thing is only for the old line of funs? This isn't one of those things where you introduce it into the market and slowly slip it in under the radar on all models?? I think you saw my boat, it took a huge forklift ding in shipping and the only reason I kept the boat was the fact that it was cross-link. I can understand the cheaper line for entry level, though.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #7

Tim, Not EVEN.

It is a huge part of our philosophy to stick with only the most superior of materials. So absolutely NOT... Our current lines are our bread and butter and won't be made with anything less than the best. Today that is Crosslink, tomorrow maybe something else pops up, but you can bet if JK is using it, it's the bomb.

The real driver behind using linear is that the previous models (now called Classics) sold more units in their last year and that same mold was three years old! So, now by going with Linear on the Classics, dropping the price to 799, and then coming out with our New 07 (crosslink) lineup at regular retail of 995, offers a wide array of options for the public.

Good question though...
Old 11-21-2006   #8

Hey Craw,

I put the 4th on my calendar. The guys at Big Hoss said you were coming, but didn't know when, last I talked to them, so cool to read this post.

I've been in an EZG 42 the last 2 years and love it. However, I'm on my 2nd warranty and am considering other boats. I've kinda honed in on the Fun. I've heard from others that I may have a harder time throwing down the bow. Could you speak to this, and how it would compare with my EZG in other ways? Also, could you please bring one my size? (5'5" 130)

Thanks,

Deb
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #9

Deb,

First off... you sound like a 2fun size and yes I wil have one there for sure.

With what is now called the Classic Fun (previous fun mold), you are absolutely correct. Not sure if the right word is "lacking", but that design was missing a more playful component. Bottom line though, it really is meant as a playful river runner first and I think we did very well with attaining that perspective.

With the new Fun series, we kicked the play element up a notch, while still maintaining a very stable, fairly quick, and easy to roll feature set. The result is truly awesome and your valid concern about flatwater tossing is now a thing of the past.
Old 11-21-2006   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Craw, do you think that the folks at the Jackson factory would set up a boat as a C-1 at the factory? Like maybe just a saddle instead of a seat so that lazy outfitting guys like me would not have to do the hard part?
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote