Mountain Buzz banner

Is this helmet done?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  hullflyer 
#1 ·
Was playing around on Slaughterhouse today and rolled and tried to muscle my neck through a rock. Pretty sure I won, so if you are running Slaughter might want to watch out for a change in some of the rapids due to rocks moving.

Anyways, I read that WRSI helmets are made for multiple impacts, but I can only find that on the Current helmets and this is a Trident helmet. I would assume it is the same. I definitely shattered the plastic and I can't really see if it did anything to the carbon fiber.

Safe to use or poney up the big bucks for a Moment?

P.S.
After uploading the pic, all that is white is not a glare that is the shattered plastic

What a bummer to have happen when playboating.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How bummed will you be if you don't pony up the cash, if the next rock you try to muscle wins? I'd get a new one, but I am pretty conservative when it comes to helmet and pfd. Or send it to wrsi, the photo. They may have to say it is toast, but if they say it is fine I'd personally be comfortable with that.

#4 ·
Kev I wouldnt be bragging, lest the EPA comes down on you for destroying valuable spawning habitat for Greenback Cutthroat trout.

But for the helmet I can't imagine any manufacturer seeing damage like this and saying: "yeah, you'll be alright". as a rule they would tell you to buy a new one.

Am I going to be seeing you in a month?

#6 ·
You won

Congrats you won. The helemt saved your scalp.

The spiderweb stikes mean it is done in those areas. Your armor is weakened and done. Everything in that area is done protecting.

Please try to remember nothing is without purpose, and your helmet has served that. Where on day 1 or day 301 it has done what it needed to do and it is time to move on.

The question I would ask is how much do you weigh and how small of and area did you land on? That's what the helemt did right.

Sweet, Shred Ready, FNA, Head Trips, Murky Waters, Grateful Heads, WRSI all make some great lids and I would try and find one that fits your head perfect and go with that as yur new helmet.

#7 · (Edited)
If you have to ask it, haven't you just answered your own question? Remember, a head injury is a lousy way to change your personality.

#12 ·
If you have to ask it, haven't you just answered your own question? Remember, a head injury is a lousy way to change your personality.
That's funny! :lol:

But seriously, a great reminder. Be glad you were wearing a good helmet. The WRSI folks started their company after their son lost his life in an impact while wearing a lesser helmet.

Maybe glue a base on it and use it for your new camp drinking vessel?!

#9 ·
I am always cautious with helmets, just wanted to see if the WRSI was for multiple impacts. Now it is just a good excuse to buy a new full face.

Anyone know how to get rid of a sore neck and back now?

Evan, I will see you in a month in Idaho?

John, get a new profile pic where you are in your own boat and not some welded jefe.

#10 ·
It is hard to see from the photo if the structure was compromised, or if it is just clear coat abrasion. It seems like the top part of the damage is spider webbed fractured, so I would say it is toast. Personally, I go by how hard I think I hit something, and the damage that resulted, as opposed to throwing a lid away every time it gets a little dinged.

#11 ·
No Brain no Pain!!! Options: A) give up boating; B) hang it on the wall as art; C) buy a new helmet. D) None the above

All are correct answers however if you choose D) and hit a rock again your chances of turning into a drooling chunk of Cauliflower for the rest of your life are increased dramaticly.

#14 ·
I do a lot of work with TBI patients, use to do more of the longer term and recovery work, now it is mostly acute. Buy a new helmet.
Even "multi impact" helmets should be replaced every few years due to breakdown of the foam inside without any damage to the lid. Like Andy said, you answered it yourself really, but anything beyond a good scrape as far as visible damage warrants a trip to the paddling shop. Other than some of the DH and jumping helmets, one ding and done for bike helmets too. Any dents in the foam weaken them and they will break much easier than intended when undamaged.

#15 ·
Say thank you to the helmet. It did its job.

Now go buy a new one.

A couple years ago I broke a brand new helmet on boulder creek on literally the 1st day I had it. (My 2nd helmet of the season)
Everyone was saying how that sucked... I was saying how it was awesome, I was standing there talking and laughing about it... Not unconscious under water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.