Is this Cataraft Price fair? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-28-2011   #1

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Is this Cataraft Price fair?

$1900.

California Whitewater - 14' Hyside Cataraft For Sale.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Seems like a solid deal to me. I've never seen that type of drybox first hand, but it seems ok. Having all 3 frame bays on and loaded for a multi-week trip seems suspect--it stretches the waterline load bearing section over the rake areas, which could affect performance if you overload it.

It looks like a versitle boat though overall, depending on what your uses are.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #3

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Cat Price

Looks like a good deal.
Check the tubes for major patches. Even if you have to replace a valve, it's a deal.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Fair? Yes. Stellar? No

If this is your first boat and you plan on doing day trips on smaller rivers, ok. If you want to do longer floats or with a passenger then you should be looking for a 16' cat. Having done this 14-16-18 i'd say skip a step and start with 16

You would have to pack backpacker style for a grand trip, lets be serious here the seller should know there is no such thing as a 28 day trip

The dring looks like glue is starting to give. The valves look antiquated. If under inspection your gut tells you its not in great shape then listen to your gut
Old 09-29-2011   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
there is no such thing as a 28 day trip
Yes there is. Winter trips can take 25 days to Diamond, which is still in the Grand Canyon. They can then spend 5 more days to Pierce Ferry, which is only a day or so out of the Canyon.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Hyside is usually a pretty sturdy boat, but you'll have to look it over to see if it needs a lot of work. Frame looks good, with several options for rigging. I agree with Wildh2onriver that using all three frame modules will max you out on those tubes. All depends on what you want to do with this boat????
If you're looking for something bigger, I know someone who might be selling a 16X24 Maravia Cat with a nice frame. Shoot me a PM if you want info.

KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #7

I have a 13" and a 16' Hyside cats (did not know they make a 14").
Very durable boats, one is over 20 years old.

A buudy has taken the 13' on multiple GC trips.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Ok. Maybe i was a bit harsh. I agreed it was fair but not stellar.

I would think, however, if you are doing a 28 day winter GC trip on a boat that size that something has gotta give. I wouldnt want to skimp on exposure protection as during those months you probably wont be sleeping under the stars. I also would have a companion on board.

Something doesnt seem right unless you pack ultralight and eat freeze dried, that boat doesnt look to have the waterline to support 2 peeps, three frame pieces, and 28 days on a river, IMO. Maybe If with a lot of other boats to share the gear

Also, is that dry box an action packer with a foam sealed lid?

I would think a more suitable GC boat (and maybe better deal) is the 2011 leopard that someone has listed on nrsweb gear swap for $3k, IMO.

I know its $1100 more however hard to argue with 9 remaining years on the warrantee and a boat I'd feel confident taking on a month long float. And having owned and progressed through a 14, 16, and now 18' boat my recommendation is to GO BIG!!
Old 09-29-2011   #9

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
What do you think would be a good offer assuming it is good condition?
studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I think that is very fair price. The tubes new alone cost about $2500. That cat looks to be about 10-15 years old in good condition. The seller states no patches. Spray it with 303 protectant and it will really revitalize the hypalon.

My buddy had the same cat about 8 years ago....i thought it was great. It can handle plenty of mid lenght trips (7 days) loaded (middle fork salmon, main salmon...). Also a nice size (14 footer) to go ultra light and run small rivers/creeks (800 cfs +)

Great beginner boat. All that stuff listed would cost $3900+ new.

The drybox is a high end action packer- not totally dry but definitley does the job (i use one to supplement my aluminum drybox).
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft