Is there a whitewater park being built in Ft. Collins? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-26-2007   #1

Is there a whitewater park being built in Ft. Collins?

Is there a whitewater park being built in Ft. Collins? If so when will it be built and how many waves?

wadekeith2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007   #2

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Dont we all wish it were that simple.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
The rumor is that a very small playpark will be built just downstream of College Ave. It will have 3 play features as I hear it. I think the guys at The Mountain Shop may have more info. As far as opinions go, here's one. Unless the powers that be can get some guaranteed flows through town, it will be a nice rock pile. Some of the very "green" folks here in the Fort, don't want development along the river at all. Good luck with access and flows to all.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007   #4

Mad Scientist/Creeker
OK - how about a little more positive attitude here fellas. The money is nearly there and consturction may start as early as late this spring. What we need is support from within the community. Yes, there is a small contingent of "green" activistists fighting development along the river corridor. Problem is, I don't think too many of these folks have been down there recently as there is 1) already an old diversion dam in place, 2) trash everywhere along the banks, 3) invasive species "flourishing" and 4) an already transformed riverbed. All in all, this no longer a "natural" river corridor as is.
The proposed river park aims to clean up this zone, plant native species, create aquatic wildlife habitat by forming defined pools and eddy lines and generally create a more pleasant atmosphere where everyone will want to hang out - not just the local homeless population. This play park will be a big deal in Fort Collins, will have an extremely postitive effect on the north downtown area and will have plenty of flow during the spring and summer months. Late season agricultural demand will provide "off-season" opportunities to play and three features is better than zero. Think about it - it will be a safe place for kids and others to learn to paddle, have a quick lunch session when you don't have time to drive up the canyon and practice slalom (eventually).
There will be some fundraising events this spring and the best thing you can do to help this park is to stay positive and attend these fundraisers. If you are interested in helping in a more committed way contact Matt Evans at [email protected]
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #5

Engineer, Vail
My senior engineering project is to design the park. The town will put in two drops just below the existing structures. We surveyed the entire site recently with the latest GPS technology. It didnt come as a surprise to me when the data verified that there is 1' 4" of elevation drop from start of the park to the end. Thats 8" per drop. So dont get to excited... I wouldn't even bother.

If we could modify the upstream structure it would give about 6 feet of additional head to work with, (more than enough for some epic drops) but the town says...NO!

Constuction is planned to begin next fall and park should be finished in the spring of 2008.
kakahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #6

hmmn... 8 inches per drop won't be very good...

I'm not an engineer and may be missing something, but could they go for a reconfiguration of the top drop right below the bridge on College Ave? From observing other successful features around the state, shortening and perhaps steepening the concrete apron and deepening the pool behind it could turn that first drop into a nice feature. If they'd go ahead and put concrete rather than boulders on the second drop, the water would have m-wave type velocity that could create something worthwhile.....a consult with playpark engineers that do this all the time could change some minds within the development team.

Apologies up front if the previous post has been misread. Are there really plans to use a college class to engineer the drops? Not to rag on a class project, but wouldn't it be better to actually use the people that design these parks for a living? Lacy, Shipley, et al. only seem to get it right 1/4 of the time as it is. It would stink to invest all that time, money, and planning and have nothing to show for it. It's the responsibility of the boaters to keep the city planners on track. They may not understand the "art" that goes into making these riverbed modifications work. Just my 0.02.

Brandon
brandonschmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of developing a river corridor that reflects well on the Fort and improves the North College Corridor. I have not boated Golden, but have visited. I'm very impressed. How nice would it be to have a place like that here in the Fort? Matt, and others, have invested much personal time to this project. I've heard they've even purchased some water rights to keep some water in the Poudre. I am disheartened by some who would keep the river the way it is to retain its "natural beauty" on this very short stretch that is kind of an eyesore as it exists.

Thanks for calling me on the "negativity". I may have been caught venting some frustrations.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #8

Engineer, Vail
Re: hmmn... 8 inches per drop won't be very good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonschmit

Apologies up front if the previous post has been misread. Are there really plans to use a college class to engineer the drops? Not to rag on a class project, but wouldn't it be better to actually use the people that design these parks for a living? Lacy, Shipley, et al. only seem to get it right 1/4 of the time as it is. It would stink to invest all that time, money, and planning and have nothing to show for it. It's the responsibility of the boaters to keep the city planners on track. They may not understand the "art" that goes into making these riverbed modifications work. Just my 0.02.

Brandon
I dont know if you read the previous post but I'm one of those college kids. And "NO" the town is not using us to design the drops. It's merely a school project. The town will of course review the design but in the end I believe a qualified team of engineers will be doing the final design. Hopefully Lacy. And for good reason to. I am the only avid kayaker on my team and these people have no clue what it takes to make a good drop. None of them a have even been to a kayak park. They are way more focused on getting this thing finished and a grade put on it than designing a good drop. I mean my team is starting to dislike me because I am trying to push for a better design, and by doing that I am making the project harder and more complicated for them.
And those poor suckers down at the city also have no clue!!!!! I mean just absolutely no clue what it takes to make a nice wave. There plan is to make a park that everyone can use (like tubers). They even think that the course will be used to run, over and over again. I tried to explain to them that kayakers will be playing IN the wave!!! Not just running through it!! And making novice features will not bring kayakers from a far. Beginer kayakers will also grow out the drops in a few weeks anyways. We should try to build something that keeps people coming back. They just dont understand that all levels of kayakers can still play on an advanced drop (look at salida). I wish they would just grow some balls and build us a sick place to play.

Ohh and they don't want to touch the riverbed or any of the structures up stream. The sad thing is...is that there is so much potential to have a great feature, but the city will never let it happen. What the city needs is to get the boating communities input on this matter, so we can get something gnarly built. Ever since the mountain shop gave the project to the city I knew it wasn't going to be good. Who wants to play at a little 6" drop anyways when there is epic boating 15 mins up the road. We have had about 4 meetings with the city and this is just the general impression that I get and its just so discouraging.
Old 02-27-2007   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
I think it took years of work for the Pueblo crew to make their park happen. The city council has to be shown how beautiful the park can be and what a draw it is. Salida and Pueblo are the models from what I have seen. Can you do a presentation showing Salida on a June day with the kids on their bikes and people paddling? If they could see that part, they might change their mind.
Old 02-27-2007   #10

Engineer, Vail
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh
I think it took years of work for the Pueblo crew to make their park happen. The city council has to be shown how beautiful the park can be and what a draw it is. Salida and Pueblo are the models from what I have seen. Can you do a presentation showing Salida on a June day with the kids on their bikes and people paddling? If they could see that part, they might change their mind.
GH your exactly right; the city needs to be shown how attractive a park can be. Since the town wants this to be a park for all skill levels I thought we should use golden as a model for the 2 drops that are going to be put in place. But Craig Foreman the City Planner has said outright that they do not wish this park to be like that of Golden's and Golden is to advanced. How can golden be too advanced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? ???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would think golden is a place for all levels. Arrgh.
Maybe some paddlers from the community could get together this spring and have a meeting with the planning dept?

Tags
ark