Is there a kayak park in Gunnison?? If so how - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-10-2004   #1
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Is there a kayak park in Gunnison?? If so how

is it at these levels? Come to the area Fri. and Sat this week and wondering which is best Glenwood or Gunnison. Some local paddler let me know? Thanks. Ron.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004   #2
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Still haven't gotten any Beta from

Mt.buzz. Got an "it sucks" and an "it's great" from the BT forum. Any help in making our decision would really be appreciated. I know what Shoshone is like, and I understand it'll really be crowded this weekend. So help us with Beta about Gunny park if you can. We are heading out in the morning, but I'll check the net before we go. Thanks, Ron.
Old 08-12-2004   #3

Socratic Philosopher
How 'bout "It's there." As I remember, there are two main features, a mellow wave at the top, and a steeper wave down below. Nice pools below both. When I was there during the WW festival, I saw alot of different moves being made. It was higher (600+?, can't remember). I have never seen it crowded.

As for the river sections, the Gunny town section of the river is mainly a float. I've enjoyed fishing it. But, another fun run in the area, that always seems to have some water (~300) even in Sept, is the Upper Taylor (put-in @ New Generation, take out South Bank). It's a fairly continuous, technical, creekish, Class III run. It's not demanding, yet not boring either. Cold water and very shallow outside the main flow of current (rat tat tat on the head, you get the idea).

el gordo's weekend's forecast for 8/14 & 15th:
ShoSho: bigger water, social vs. Gunny: Smaller water, not crowded.

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004   #4

Shoshone is Shoshone. It sounds as if you've been there before.

As far as the Gunni Park goes: 2 drops. At this level you can front surf the upper, spin a little, and not much more. The lower is always good. From 200cfs on up. At this level you can front surf, spin, cartwheel, blunt a bit, loop, and a few other nifty tricks I can't do. It's a more advanced hole than you may be used to in that it's not very straight ahead paddling. It's all about fast continuous moves kinda off axis a lot of the time.

The upper Taylor like mentioned offers some other boating in the area. It's nothing spectacular, but it's very senic, not crowded, and hitching a shuttle ride w/ any of the rafting companies shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that, unless you're planning on paddling the Black, you're SOL for anything else to paddle in that valley this time of the year. It's far, but worth the journey if you haven't been yet. Just expect to spend a lot of time in just one hole that really tires you out quickly.

There is that thing in Montrose though, but only hippy rednecks with huge trucks can paddle there....
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #5

Grand Junction, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch

There is that thing in Montrose though, but only hippy rednecks with huge trucks can paddle there....
"thing" in Montrose? Whazzat?
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #6

ssshhhhh!
81230rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #7

Grand Junction, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81230rivers
ssshhhhh!
Time to spill the beans....
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #8
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Gunny Park. Thanks for the Beta!!!!!! More

We spent Fri. and Sat. there and enjoyed it. The 2nd. hole was rough, but after a while was able to do some stuff in it. Think I'll be back. Didn't realize Gunnison was so far over into Co., but it's still closer than the Payette or Reno to me. Appreciate your input. Thanks again. Ron.

Tags
ark, kayaking