Is no one ready to KAYAK? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2010   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Is no one ready to KAYAK?

Seriously - the Embudo is perfect medium and the only mofo going is Atom and TK who live there? This season is going to end by late May and no one is ready to go when the flows hit? Where's my boyz? Gitusum!

Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010   #2
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Embudo says 300 cfs. What's that mean in feet?
Old 04-15-2010   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
TK told me today it'll probably be between 3.2-3.5 this weekend. Medium low with possibility to be higher depending on what the light rain on snowpack means.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010   #4
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Is that because it's 3.2-3.5 now, or because he thinks it'll rise or fall? 3.2-3.5 does sound perfect, but I have no clue what 300 cfs (277 right now) means there--looks like it plateaued the night before last and temps are falling for the weekend.
Old 04-15-2010   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Atom posted this somewhere and I copied it. Print it out and pin it on your head. I'm not sure I understand the ditches though. Are they pulling water in or out and where and is there a bit more water in the canyon after or before the ditches are on?

Weather forecast is for much cooler weather this weekend - won't that bring it down?

conversion
This is based on past years Embudo notes. Give or take some CFS, this is a rough estimate and this is after the ditches are all on, so there will be a bit more water in the actual canyon...

130cfs = 2.8ft
180cfs = 3.0ft
220cfs = 3.1ft
275cfs = 3.2ft
325cfs = 3.3ft
400cfs = 3.4ft

If folks are in the area and check the visual gauge, it has slumped into the river a couple inches. So if it says 3.5ft, it probably is really 3.4ft....etc...
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I was thinking about getttin' down there, but weather looks iffy. Could shut down by Saturday. Baker's is in and people are going, so I think I am gonna hang here this weekend.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #7
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Print it out and pin it on your head.
OK, will you read it to me now?

It's a moot point for me anyhow, cuz wifey just put the kibosh on any thoughts I may have had of a weekend funneling excursion...need more warning...

Nice to see the season's starting tho! Seems early.
Old 04-15-2010   #8

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Joe, Ian, Kevin, anyone else, what aboot next weekend. I am all in for Fri evening drive and boating the rest. I would go this weekend, but I am skinning up sunlight with a nice keg. You all can join me for that if you wish
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Current forecast is for most of the energy with the fri-sat system to go through NM, with models predicting upwards of an inch of rain. If that falls on the embuddha headwaters, I think it will rise or maintain rather than fall this weekend, despite cooler temps. Sort of a crapshoot and for sure its going to be greybird/rainy on Sat.

Glad to see you're calling everyone out on the buzz though Joe. Just because your season (and funtimes) will be over when you move doesn't mean that the season will end for the rest of us.

Re: ditches -- my understanding is that the ditches pull below the canyon but above the gauge and are not currently diverting. Thus, current readings will feel/are lower in the canyon than the same reading once the ditches are sucking.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #10

Student
Ditches

Almost all the ditches are on right now. So if the guage is reading 300cfs, it is probably 400cfs in the canyon...

When it is earlier in the season and the ditches have not been turned on, the CFS on the guage is represenative of what is in the canyon.....Mute point now though...

I think this rain (if it rains) is gonna bring it to epic flows. Hot as heck today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
Current forecast is for most of the energy with the fri-sat system to go through NM, with models predicting upwards of an inch of rain. If that falls on the embuddha headwaters, I think it will rise or maintain rather than fall this weekend, despite cooler temps. Sort of a crapshoot and for sure its going to be greybird/rainy on Sat.

Glad to see you're calling everyone out on the buzz though Joe. Just because your season (and funtimes) will be over when you move doesn't mean that the season will end for the rest of us.

Re: ditches -- my understanding is that the ditches pull below the canyon but above the gauge and are not currently diverting. Thus, current readings will feel/are lower in the canyon than the same reading once the ditches are sucking.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking