Is It Time? Discussion point for hard shell paddlers - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

alta, Utah
Is It Time? Discussion point for hard shell paddlers

Greetings Paddlers,

I’ve been thinking about this for a while...if discussion on this topic has come and gone already in between my infrequent visits here pls shoot me the link.

I suspect very few of us don’t sweep the area for trash/micro-trash after camping, lunch stop, scouting, safety meeting, etc. I also believe most kayakers pack out trash that’s made it’s way riverside whenever possible. The issue I wanted to raise for productive relevant discussion relates to those small colorful curls, shavings, & strips of kayak plastic we’ve all seen and left behind on sharp riverside rocks, seal launch areas, or portage trails. Is it time for us to see these in the same way we see any other type of trash and behave accordingly?

Although I’m posting to find out what other kayakers think, my own answer is “yes.” I started picking them up this past summer when I saw how quickly a new boat hull went from smooth to cheese graded texture and realized that plastic is being deposited right into the river environment. Of course I don’t get out of my boat and scramble back to the top of the ledge I just seal launched from or furiously backpaddle to see if I left some plastic on the rock I just unintentionally pitoned. I’ve just been picking it up when I see it and putting it in a sealable bag. It hasn’t taken long to gather a 1/16th.

Again, I think only a small fraction of us would not pick up and pack out a gum wrapper or bottle cap. Is it time to widen our view of what constitutes a LNT ethic and pack out these tidbits of kayak plastic?

Vibes

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Great thoughts. Thanks for broaching the subject, and for doing the responsible thing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Absolutely, great thoughts. I so have a rather simple solution to the problem, retire the tupperware and relegate it to duty as a nice planter, and build a wooden dory and row that instead. Wood is bio-degradable and natural to the environment, you would be rowing the greenest boat you possibly could, very friendly to the environment!!
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
That gaily painted eggshell (aka "dory") is just as plastic as any kayak - or did you make yours the old fashioned way, without any fasteners or glues/epoxies,urethane finishes (and especially no paint!)? That way the water swells the unfinished wood and makes it watertight...

Good post, Barry. Any effort to leave the place cleaner than we find it is appreciated!
B4otter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
That gaily painted eggshell (aka "dory") is just as plastic as any kayak - or did you make yours the old fashioned way, without any fasteners or glues/epoxies,urethane finishes (and especially no paint!)? That way the water swells the unfinished wood and makes it watertight...

Good post, Barry. Any effort to leave the place cleaner than we find it is appreciated!

Nope, no glues, bronze fasteners, there is fiberglass but that doesn't peel off, but there IS paint on the sides, but I'm pretty anal about keeping it there LOL, hence the "Gaily Painted" part of the eggshell.

I was posting tongue in cheek when I wrote that
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote