Is it OK to camp at Cisco? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2011   #1
bth

Is it OK to camp at Cisco?

Thinking of camping at Cisco - arriving late in the evening, and then driving to the Westy put-in the next morning, so that our shuttle is already run. Is this allowed?

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011   #2
AQS

Edwards, Colorado
Camping is fine at Cisco. People set up tents close to the lot all the time and there are also those little side roads nearby that have some good spots.
Have Fun!
-Sean
AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #3

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
We camp there after running Westy every time, never had a problem.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
All BLM land near the landing. Just hook out on the side road heading north and camp wherever you want.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I like to pass out on the little boat rolling concrete pad. Bugs can be an issue though..
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
as long as you don't mind being eaten by the mutants that live there. they look a lot like mr shlitzenturky.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #7

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
as long as you don't mind being eaten by the mutants that live there. they look a lot like mr shlitzenturky.
That's actually a picture of Ma, but yes, we eat the skin
Old 09-05-2011   #8
bth

thanks to all for the replies. since we wont be meeting the rest of the group until the following morning (after we will potentially be camping at cisco), it begs to question - are there any facilities there- even just pit toilets??
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #9

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Cisco landing has pit toilets at the parking lot. River Use Stipulations state no camping for two miles BELOW Cisco take out. I don't know why you couldn't camp on any of the side roads north of the Cisco take out. Watch out for the bugs. With all the high water this year the mosquito's are currently FAR WORSE than anything at the Desolation Sand Wash put in or Bug Island/Bug Park on the Green. Ran Westwater last week and everyone lost lots of blood at the take out. Never seen anything like it in all my years of running Westwater. Up river through Ruby/Horsethief only the usual biting flies and they only go for the person behind the oars.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #10

BEWARE OF CISCO

The wife and I were driving I-70 late one night and itr was about 1:30 AM and we were tired. So we thought: "Hey we will just camo at the Westwater takeout. So we pulled down the road and began unloading our Paco Pads to crash on the ground. Then a drunk old guy walked up with a headlamp on and began rambling about our Nice Stuff and being generally creepy. He was milling about not leaving us alone. A couple minutes into it I noticed a pistol tucked into the left side of his pants with an unbuttoned jacket just covering it up. My adrenaline started pumping but I knew the guy was slow and drunk, and I am fast. So I decided to not say anything unless he went for the gun. A minute or two later he dropped his left hand and started to pull back his coat flap. I lunged over to him and grabbed the gun out of his pants just as his hand was hitting it. Needless to say some serious shouting and ranting ensued. I told him we would give it back in the morning. We started to lay down. He thought he had turned his headlamp "off" but he had turned it to "blink". We watched as a blinking light climbed the hill behind us and started to come down on our camp from above. We jumped in the car and sped down the road for a new campsite. Ended up chucking the gun out the right side of the car on the dirt road down to the takeout. It's probably still there.

Put Ins are some of my favorite campsites but there are sketchy people out there.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote