Is it ethical to crowd fund a new boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2015   #1

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Is it ethical to crowd fund a new boat?

I am trying to figure out what I think about the ethics of crowd funding other folks vacations / outdoor gear.

Has anyone crowed funded a new kayak for their birthday before?

Birthday Present: A New Kayak! by Gavin Rieser - GoFundMe

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've an old acquaintance who just posted "I got prego so please fund me because I can't afford a baby right now"...I think you're ok asking for a boat!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #3

Hi,

As an old coot with somewhat antiquated thinking, I can still applaud internet fund-raising in some circumstances. Most particularly, that would be when people whose life circumstances put them in genuine need are able to connect with folks who are generous in their thinking, and their ability to share their resources.

I also think if individuals want to kick in on a commercial venture for some reason -- knowing its risks and potential benefits -- so be it.

I am a bit less relaxed in my thinking when it comes to cases that stray from my mental models. But if someone wants to fund another person's recreational interests, it's still a free world for them to do so.

And if there are any ethical considerations, they don't immediately jump to mind -- as long as the internet organization acting as a broker for those transactions is operating legitimately. But I confess I don't follow this issue all that closely, so there might be some other factors that come into play.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015   #4

San Jose, CA, California
* I am not Gavin and I have a boat 2007 burn which I enjoy paddling very much.
Old 05-21-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Completely ethical.

If there are any wealthy benefactors that would like to fund my kayaking gear in order to enjoy carnage stories, hit me up. I need a new boat... and you really like hearing bedtime stories that involve gear loss, beatdowns, and misc. holy shit moments.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Completely ethical.

If there are any wealthy benefactors that would like to fund my kayaking gear in order to enjoy carnage stories, hit me up. I need a new boat... and you really like hearing bedtime stories that involve gear loss, beatdowns, and misc. holy shit moments.
Ditto! I would love for someone to fund me! I guess that is kinda what a sponsor is too. Woman can have sugar daddies, can river rats have rich people that buy us stuff?
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #7

San Jose, CA, California
Well Gavin is creeping closer to his goal and I think he would get a kick out of how supportive the Colorado community is of his fundraising efforts.
Old 05-21-2015   #8

That's creative I'll give him that....at least he's offering services to people who donate, so you could potentially get something back for your consideration.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #9

conifer, Colorado
No! I bet you're a 20 something who has been raised with an entitlement mentality. Go find a second job(or first one-get out of your parents basement!) to afford what you need you dirtbag.

Jeez, the nerve! Crowdfunding should be for charity ie. people with cancer, needing transplants or for raising capital for a project. If you do have a job I'd guess you work for the government or a union!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
No! I bet you're a 20 something who has been raised with an entitlement mentality. Go find a second job(or first one-get out of your parents basement!) to afford what you need you dirtbag.

Jeez, the nerve! Crowdfunding should be for charity ie. people with cancer, needing transplants or for raising capital for a project. If you do have a job I'd guess you work for the government or a union!
Wow! Tell us how you really feel...

Craig also has a thing up on Go Fund Me for a new park down by the river.
Diversion Park by Robert Schenck - GoFundMe

Kinda sad that the kid asking for a new boat has raised more money than the park.