Is Eleven Mile actually running? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2007   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Is Eleven Mile actually running?

Looking at the gauge it appers that it's kicked into grear.

It's been a long time since I ran it and have no idea what the levels are needed to be for a good run. I do remember some fairly good rapids though...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007   #2

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
I have no idea if it is in or not, but Marty if you go I will go with you.
Old 04-23-2007   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Detail Graph

I don't know what gauge you're looking at, it's currently rockin it at 35cfs...
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007   #4

phateye was down earlier, so I looked on AW and it was showing in the med level... weird.

I thought that looked strange.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 04-25-2007   #5

OK... what the hell is going on here.

I am not sure what is up with the gauges as many on Eddy Flower are not consistent with long term well trusted ones such as AW. And for whatever reason when Phateye was taken over by EF many readings got instantly odd...

For instance... again with 11 mile, it is apparently running at a low but good flow of 230 as seen here:

South Platte, CO

1. Eleven Mile Reservoir to Lake George (Eleven Mile Canyon)

Class III-V(V+)
8 Miles
Avg Gradient 62 fpm
Max Gradient 93 fpm

Gauge Information

Level Legend: RunningBelow Minimum Recommended FlowAbove Maximum Recommended FlowUnknownDescriptions of reaches with River Name in bold have been verified by a regional streamkeeper.

State River Name Section Class Level Rel. Level Updated COSouth Platte1. Eleven Mile Reservoir to Lake GeorgeIII-V(V+)213 cfsmed4/25 5:30
Min Sug. Level: 150 cfsMax Sug. Level: 1000 cfs

Gauge Description:

Low:150 - 300 cfsMed:300 - 500 cfsHigh:500 cfs and up

But EF still shows it at like 43 cfs...

11 mile is a great run albeit many years since I have been on it.

Does anyone have a visual on this to confirm what is going on here?
Old 04-25-2007   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
It looks like AW is using the South Platte above Cheeseman Res for 11-mile. Wouldn't Lake George be a better gage?
Right now:
SP above 11-mile: 37.4 cfs
SP near Lake George: 39.6 cfs
SP above Cheesman: 211 cfs

Bottom line, I don't think 11-mile is running. Other bottom line, I seriously miss the old, simple Phateye. The DWR has updated their flows page and it's more updated and comprehensive that anything else I know of out there:
District Data

Happy floating!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #7
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Marty,

The eddyflower gauge is correct. It is the CO DWR gauge for the South Platte near Lake George. That is the flow through Elevenmile Canyon. Pauh of EF, if you are reading, it would probably be good to use this gauge for Cheesman too, or add it as a reference.

Essentially, the guage listed on AW is right above Cheesman Reservoir, and so it is catching all the low elevation streams that come in below Lake George, like Tarryall Creek. I would imagine that later in the summer, like June and July, these two gauges would be pretty similar because the main source of water would be discharge from Elevenmile Reservoir, not tributary runoff. The situation is similar to Waterton Canyon, when it is at 600cfs, but Bailey only has 100cfs or so--most water comes in from the little creeks.

A lot of the gauges on AW are well below the actual run and therefore they aren't the most accurate indicators. So, I would keep an eye on the South Platte near Lake George gauge to find out when Elevenmile or Cheeseman is in (Detail Graph).

Check out this thread too: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...age-12957.html

Alex
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote