is Dirigo 106 good for IVs - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2007   #1

Dodge City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 1972
is Dirigo 106 good for IVs

Is an Oldtown Dirigo 106 10' 6" a good boat for Class IVs? I've never Kayaked but have ran IIIs in canoes with airbags. I don't want to do acrobatics just make it through hard water right side up.

mikeweber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #2

You can make it down just about anything in any boat. It might be a little more challenging on the maneuvering, but the boat'll make it down just fine. I remember the good ol' days (okay, they weren't that great) when the only boats out there were made out of fiberglass and longer than 10'.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #3

Dodge City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 1972
What do you run?

What do most of you regulars run?
mikeweber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #4

6' playboats.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There is a wide range of "regulars" on this forum plenty of beginner/intermediates II- IV but mostly advanced /expert IV -VI,just look at the photo galleries!Most of the runs you're talking about would be considered very easy by most,those old school guidebooks and stuff put out by the Ark Headwaters tends to over rate rapids or go by what they would be at high water.Low wter runs could be pretty tough on your equiptment and hard to manouver those tanks through bony rocky stuff. Idon't think Old Town touring Kayaks are really made to take that kind of abuse,but could certainly survive ;Shoshone - Newcastle,LWR. Roaring FK., Deckers -Chutes,So.Platte through Denver, Lwr . Blue',LWR. tAYLOR, and the easier stretches of the ARK= Parkdale,SB to Salida,and Rincon. Fractions and Browns are not hard but maybe better in a more durable boat.All those runs are 2 -3 and should have late season water{Shoshone ,Browns,and Fractions are a little harder III}.

As far as what most regulars are running,whatever still has water,basically;
Waterton, Bailey, Foxton,Gore Canyon,low water runs on constricted sections of the Ark and Poudre,monsoon runs near Durango,and Westwater.

I should have mentioned Pumphose/ Statebridge ,runs late perfect for what it sounds like you want and easily combined with lower Blue or Shoshone. Hope that helps.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #6

The boat in question is a flatwater rec. boat. Not designed for whitewater at all. Keep this boat in the flats.

Steve Sell
Prijon/WildWasser Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
There is a wide range of "regulars" on this forum plenty of beginner/intermediates II- IV but mostly advanced /expert IV -VI,just look at the photo galleries!Most of the runs you're talking about would be considered very easy by most,those old school guidebooks and stuff put out by the Ark Headwaters tends to over rate rapids or go by what they would be at high water.Low wter runs could be pretty tough on your equiptment and hard to manouver those tanks through bony rocky stuff. Idon't think Old Town touring Kayaks are really made to take that kind of abuse,but could certainly survive ;Shoshone - Newcastle,LWR. Roaring FK., Deckers -Chutes,So.Platte through Denver, Lwr . Blue',LWR. tAYLOR, and the easier stretches of the ARK= Parkdale,SB to Salida,and Rincon. Fractions and Browns are not hard but maybe better in a more durable boat.All those runs are 2 -3 and should have late season water{Shoshone ,Browns,and Fractions are a little harder III}.

As far as what most regulars are running,whatever still has water,basically;
Waterton, Bailey, Foxton,Gore Canyon,low water runs on constricted sections of the Ark and Poudre,monsoon runs near Durango,and Westwater.

I should have mentioned Pumphose/ Statebridge ,runs late perfect for what it sounds like you want and easily combined with lower Blue or Shoshone. Hope that helps.
Bobby Whitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #7

Denver, Colorado
yeah that's sort of what I was saying, not'really made'' for whitewater but you could 'survive" easy whitewater if it's not too rocky,you should have a 'more durable' boat to run Browns or Fractions ,and definitely for class 4,it may not handle the waves and holes very well on Shoshone.I didn't want to outright say you could'nt ,because you probably can if you kept it mellow.,THOUGH THERES A GOOD CHANCE OF BREAKING THE BOAT IF YOU MESS UP, if you are in reasonable shape,can swim ,wear a life jacketand helmut,there is minimal chance of serious injury on II AND EASY III AT LOW FLOWS. I suppose you could pin on something.I WOULD RECOMMEND THE APPROPRIATE BOAT,or keep it way mellow.
Old 08-09-2007   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Mike,

Greetings I am the Old Town rep and that boat is 100% designed for flat water, it will be fine down a flat water river but that is all.

It has that huge open cockpit which is meant for comfort paddling around a lake but that is it. Paddling a whitewater run you will fill that cockpit up and be completely out of control, plus with the design you will just float around in the boat and not be able to control it properly.

Please do not risk your life paddling that down class 4 river.

If you want to get into paddling whitewater, visit your local whitewater shop and inquire about proper boats and classes or look into the swap section of this forum.

Danny
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #9

Denver, Colorado
would'nt have even recommended it for 2 - 3 if I'd known there was no skirt
Old 08-10-2007   #10

Check out the Prijon Combi.

A boat that can run whitewater, but also paddle flats.

Steve Sell
WildWasser Sport/ Prijon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
would'nt have even recommended it for 2 - 3 if I'd known there was no skirt
Bobby Whitit is offline   Reply With Quote