Is buzzard creek running? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2006   #1

Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Is buzzard creek running?

Just looking around and I saw plateau was running. I need a good class four to take some people down. Is buzzard a good choice? I think piedra might be a little to much. thanks, Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006   #2

Even if it's just barely running, I'd be up for a trip Friday and/or Saturday. Anybody know? Thanks.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3

Hey, I just found a guage on american whitewater that says about 190cfs. Minimum would be 500cfs. The problem i have is relying on American Whitewater guages as they are sometimes the wrong link to the wrong guage. This one looks kinda legit so...anyone a little help?
thanks, Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Guys,

Buzzard's kind of a pile, IMO.

We ran it last year and were a little disappointed. It's not that it couldn't be good, but it would take some cleaning and then a lot of water (>1000 on Plateau) to get good. I want to say that the Plateau gauge was about 600 when we did it (mid-April) and it was super boney. It got upto like 2,000 for a while last year and that would of been rad. Lot's of little feeder streams between Buzzard and the Plateau gauge.

It's a class IV run, but with enough juice to make it fun the hazards would come up on you pretty fast. You should take this weekend to go clean it! Just take wire cutters instead of chainsaws. All the fences are probably seasonal and you might just be able to detach them and set them aside without even hurting anything.

If you have ethical issues with that, think about what 2,000 cfs and floating wood must have done to those fences last year anyway. Flood, barbwire, and wood, it would be like storming the beachs at Normandy except you're there voluntarily???
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #5

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Not yet Johnny, I wish it was. The barb wire isn't that bad If you know where to look for it. Im thinking cross mtn if I can get a group to go. Ive never done it though. Either day is an option.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #6

Ski Patrol
buzzard blowz!
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #7

Do you have the link to the AW gauge and did you figure out whether or not it is one of their dependable gauges or not? Thanks.

COUNT
Old 04-07-2006   #8

http://americanwhitewater.org/gauges/id/7916/
Hope the link works. It is only a link for plateau creek located on the buzzard page. Plateau page doesn't even have link to a gage.
When i looked at plateau yesterday (on mountainbuzz) and the link above (on american whitewater) the levels did not match. I am going to go with mountainbuzz/phateye on this one, they haven't failed me yet.
see ya, Johnny
Old 04-07-2006   #9

Yeah, I've been checking the Plateau gauge semi-regularly. I thought maybe there was a gauge ON Buzzard. Oh, well. Thanks though.

COUNT
Old 04-07-2006   #10

the mesa

I was up on the mesa this morning to ski....it snowed up there a little the past two days. Not sure the level, but visually Plateau is up a little bit from last week, but still nothing much to write home about. From the looks of the snow level, the put in to Buzzard may have got a dusting too. So it's still not all that warm up there.
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote