Is black bear hole accessible in Lyons? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2014   #1

Is black bear hole accessible in Lyons?

Given the closure of Boulder Creek I'm wondering if there's anything accessible in Lyons. Unlike Boulder they've been thru a full on disaster so I wouldn't want to intrude if its not kosher.

But how about roadside a Black Bear hole? Lyons gauge says its 200 range. Assuming the gauge is still relevant.

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not sure of the legality, I did read in newspaper the Lyons parks might be closed all summer. Also, driving by it looked weird... Almost washed out. The river has a different course and enters at a different angle. That was all from the road so I could very well be wrong.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Black bear hole is still there. It has changed a little though. I was up there paddling around at really low flow a couple of weeks ago. There were no signs saying anything was closed. But a lady did stop to tell me that I shouldnt be in there and that the water was contaminated with ecoli and uranium.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Is black bear hole accessible in Lyons?

After checking with Lyons officials I found out that it is not in fact closed nor is it contaminated with E. coli both of which someone came up and told us when we were getting ready to get in to boat. Regardless, black bear could be a fun to sit on and spin on all day but that's all you're going to get out of it and A hole is different. I would describe it as a steep (even steeper) than it was) shallow, window shading machine. It was right around 265 when we were there thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-26-2014   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So is A hole still good or did it get messed up?

I saw boating local said that basically nobody's tested the water yet that he's aware of so confirmation or denial of sewage leaking is still unknown. Seems like somebody would have tested it at this point, eh?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #6

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
So is A hole still good or did it get messed up?

I saw boating local said that basically nobody's tested the water yet that he's aware of so confirmation or denial of sewage leaking is still unknown. Seems like somebody would have tested it at this point, eh?
Where do you suppose it's leaking from? When the treatment flooded a few thousand gallons of raw sewer got mixed with 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of flood water. I think it all flushed away. No pun intended.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
Where do you suppose it's leaking from? When the treatment flooded a few thousand gallons of raw sewer got mixed with 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of flood water. I think it all flushed away. No pun intended.
Just echoing what I heard. I assume the concern is of continuing leaks or leaks that occurred after the flood waters passed. I was hoping someone in the know would reply.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #8

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
The river is not closed…………….yet
I have only passed by the holes
BB hole for the most part is the same as it always has been. The water comes in at a different angle but its still providing the same play
The a-hole has a tongue or had a tongue. There was supposed to be some alteration done today in anticipation of LOG. I wasnt around and havent spoken to the folks taking care of it but can get back to you in a couple of days.

As far as river contamination. No one really knows and to my knowledge no one has tested all areas of the water. It's likely not a top priority considering the town is still dealing with folks that have no homes etc etc. They are aware of the rumors and it will likely rise in priority as it gets closer to the time for heavy river use.

There is potential for on going leakage. The sewage plant/leach field is literally right there. So, I would say it certainly is possible. Having brain infecting amoeba is also possible. It's kinda go at your own risk. Just think of it it as stepping up the risk factor of kayaking. Will I swim or will I get dysentery……………..

The play holes will definitively be open for LOG based on the Town Board approval last week. This is even if the river is closed to recreational use.

BTW SSV is very interesting.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the update Matt. Can you elaborate on ssv?
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #10

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Ssv is not as channelized in places
Less steep and tight in a lot of places
Likely has reduced number of class 5
It may be more of a class 4 run
With some class 5 drops
The banks are very unstable and should be walked on with extreme caution

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app