Is 350 CFM Good for a First Timer Pinnacle Rock to Parkdale??? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-14-2007   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Is 350 CFM Good for a First Timer Pinnacle Rock to Parkdale???

I just bought my girlfriend an inflatable Aire Tomcat Solo in hopes to get her more into kayaking, as I read that it can be taken good side up all the way down a Class III by someone who has never been on the water. She has kayaked a couple of times and knows how to keep the boat straight, but I was wondering if Pinnacle to Parkdale with the current water flow (350 CFM) would be alright? I have done it a couple of times when it was as low as 400 in a Dagger Honcho, and had minor problems, but Spikebuck and one other spot gave me some problems. Also are there better places to start and end than the popular places? I remember there being a flat water paddle at the end. Thanks for any info.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007   #2

Gunnison, Colorado
Hey man, I've never paddled that section before, but I had to post a reply cause I'm curious. What's CFM? Everywhere I've paddled we go by cfs (cubic feet per second). I've never heard of cfm before. Sorry for taking up space on your thread for my stupid question.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via AIM to wnccreeker
I would assume he meant cfs, because 350 cfm would not be enough to get a boat down anything on.
wnccreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Its hard to say without knowing her. I think the odds that she will complete the trip without having a minor out of boat experience are slim. Spikebuck is pretty boney at this level and people get disrupted more by rocks than water. The runout from 3 rocks is also pretty boney. We take first time boaters on that section but we divide it up and add one rapid in at a time. But if she's a risk taker, then go for it. It wont be a particularly bad swim but make sure she knows not to stand up and to ride it out.
Old 09-14-2007   #5

Park City, Utah
Sorry, I'm an Idiot, I meant CFS

Oops
Old 09-14-2007   #6

Park City, Utah
Which Points Would You Recommend Then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Its hard to say without knowing her. I think the odds that she will complete the trip without having a minor out of boat experience are slim. Spikebuck is pretty boney at this level and people get disrupted more by rocks than water. The runout from 3 rocks is also pretty boney. We take first time boaters on that section but we divide it up and add one rapid in at a time. But if she's a risk taker, then go for it. It wont be a particularly bad swim but make sure she knows not to stand up and to ride it out.
GS,
Would you recommend a different to and from? I want to take her down something that is Class 3ish to wet her appetite. I used the inflatable kayak last week for an adventure race, and I thought one of the big advantages of it vs. rigid plastic is that when it hit rocks it will more absorb the hit and torsionally twist unlike a plastic boat.

Thanks again - SCit
Old 09-14-2007   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
pueblo park

try pueblo park for first timers like 40 minutes from the run you are questioning. if she can handle that and is loving it take her down the canyon.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
cm is right, its where we go to test beginners and to work on fundamentals. Take her down there before you go and judge her reactions and fun factor. Nothing on parkdale is above III but can be a boney swim. If she keeps the boat straight then the lines are easy to hit.
Old 09-14-2007   #9

Duhrango
Just put in below Spikebuck.
Old 09-14-2007   #10

Park City, Utah
PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
try pueblo park for first timers like 40 minutes from the run you are questioning. if she can handle that and is loving it take her down the canyon.
Yeah we live down south of Pueblo, and she has been there 5 or so times. She always got scared running the plastic boats, but that was usually around 1k. I guess we could go and run Pueblo before to get her courage up, but this will be our last change this season because of our work schedules. If I should put in below Spikebuck like someone said, where should I park?

Tags
ark