International Jobs & Dog Quarantines - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2007   #1

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
International Jobs & Dog Quarantines

I have been presented with a possible opportunity to move overseas in November to work. We have a 5-month yellow-lab puppy that I absolutely will NOT part with, so he is either going with us, or we don't go.

I can get quarantine info by country online. What I'm more interested in is what you can't read - i.e. what it's really like, how it affects the dog, how they TREAT the dog, etc. Anyone with past experience have any insight?

Sorry that this is not specifically boating related. My thought is that most folks in this section have dogs, so it was a better sounding board.

PB

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007   #2
kh

I have had family members and know some family friends that put their dog in quarantine on a move to some EU countries. The dogs were fine, perhaps a little depressed.

However It depends on the country and quarantine place they are in. I'm not sure what country you are considering, but the quarantine centers in europe are much like a pet boarding places in the U.S., some can be excellent, but some can be well...... I beleive you have a say in the place.

I think effects on the dogs will vary by breed and temperment of the dog. Six months in a cage can change a dog, others weather it well. Labs are happy go lucky and may be ok.

From talking with the people who did it I would say it is not without risk for your best friend. Hope this helps
kh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Before you go the kennel route

The USA is signatory to an international agreement concerning pets. You can get a 'Pets" passport. It involves getting a lot of bloodwork done with a Vet who is familiar with the agreement and licensed for it. Your dog will have to have a biochip too. Contact the US Dept of State and/or the country's embassy you are going to. If it's the UK...they have a great deal of info on their Consulate websites.
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007   #4

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
This is news, and I've never heard of this. The customary procedure is a 30-day quarantine between industrialized countries. Not an eternity, but definitely not something we want to do unless it's mandatory.

A Pet Passport is worth the brain damage if we can keep him with us the whole time. Biochips are probably something that needs to be done anyways.

Thanks dude
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #5
kh

yeah, not sure if that time table is still the same, this was some years ago. I'm sure your current info is more reliable, but I know for my sister it was around 4-6 months which is definitely a long time. This could have been due to her dog being in others countries too. For a friend who went to the uk it was less than this.
kh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #6

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Here are the links you'll need

The following links are from the British Embassy, I'm very familiar with how this works as both our cat and dog have PETS scheme passports

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/i...0&L2=41095&D=0

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/i...41119&L3=41118

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...5&L3=1&a=26280

Hope it helps,

Mike
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote