Injury on the Poudre Today (5/22)?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Injury on the Poudre Today (5/22)??

Hello Boating Community,

I heard a rumor there was a kayaker that was injured on the Poudre today. I have absolutely no confirmation on this...which is why I am asking: does anyone know anything?

PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
All I heard was he was alive and awake when rescue workers loaded him in the helicopter.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
On another note:

Thursday 5/20 I saw 2 young females in a small pool raft running FP w/ no life jackets and no head protection. Today 5/22 I saw these same 2 females running bridges. Same scenario, no vests or helmets. Around noon they were on FP again.

If anyone knows these girls. Will you please try to talk some sense in to them. The more times they play this dangerous game, their odds keep getting worse. This is recipe for disaster.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010   #4

Denver,, exhaustion
we were there yesterday and search and rescue had a bass camp set up looking for the missing hiker, helicopters were all over.... hopefully this started the rumor and not an injured boater.... hopefully.
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There was an accident today just up from Picnic Rock. From what I was told while we were there, was that a kayaker took a swim, and hit his head. I believe he was wearing helmet. They closed the river for a while so the Larimer County Dive Rescue team could set up and transport the injured man across the river. The injured man was then helivaced out to a local hospital.

Our prayers and best wishes goes out to the man and his companions.

PS... the LCDR did a GREAT job today, Kudos to the team, They were quick, efficient, and handled a bad situation with professionalism.
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FYI for All: It was a kayaker and his injuries were (apparently) a dislocated shoulder, a possible neck injury and probable (bad) concussion (he was having trouble answering simple questions so they stabalized him and got him to the hosp on the heli). However, I was also told he was moving all extremities.....so that's a BIG HUGE blessing. Thank goodness for helmets....and all of the good people of our river community (and trained health care professionals) that ensured his safety.
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I spoke with one of the kayakers in the group and the injured kayaker is doing well and resting at home today (Sunday). I am not going to say much more as I wasn't there, except to give props to the kayakers in his group and all involved in the rescue. Thanks to their skill and efforts a bad situation turned out as well as could be hoped.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #8

Denver,, exhaustion
sorry about my post earlier.... obviously i didn't read it very well (poudre vs clear creek)
but linedawg you've boated with me you should know i don't read the lines well
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #9

front range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
I was leading this run and since some buzzards get off on reading about carnage I'll share our tale in brief.

We had 10 in the group with different skill levels. He was one of the more experienced boaters. We had two participants with medical training. We also had some participants who have been schooled in the ways of swift water and/or wilderness rescue. This isn't the first time I've been involved with something like this and I have say that our group self organized really well and worked great as a team, I felt proud and comfortable with the groups' response.

I heard that the LC Dive Team was having a practice session when they received the call to come bail us out so a lot of emergency personnel responded to this and I'm not sure where each was from or part of which group but my thanks to all for a professional effort and hope we provided good training for you. I know there was Fire EMS/EMT, Sheriff, Dive Team, park rangers and the helicopter squad from Medical Center of the Rockies (MCR). All the people and trucks were overwhelming but great. Great job everyone, thank you very much.

This was at a really innocuous spot on Filter Plant. The fellow came off a surf wave, flipped and rolled and flipped again, paused and then wet exited. We got him into an eddy on river right, across the river from the road. Despite his injuries he had held onto his paddle and also kicked swam to help his rescue boater get into the eddy. He has my respect ! He was not fully cognizant and complained of head and neck pain so we sent a runner for 911 and stabilized him (ie, two people held him so his head and neck wouldn't move.) He had on a WSRI helmet on that did not show any marked sign of impact but it's clear he hit his head.

Two rescue swimmers and an EMT showed up first (and quickly too). The rescue swimmers went over and we ferried over their Medical Kit (big and heavy), neck brace and a backboard on our kayaks. Not too long after this the Fire Rescue and the Dive Teams arrived and there were a lot of personnel and gear. The bank filled with people. Did I mention that there were a lot of rescuers ? More Fire/Rescue trucks than in a small town 4th of July parade. More rescue swimmers went across, ropes set up, a zodiac and EMT ferried over and the individual brought back and put on the Helo and taken to MCR. (hats off to the pilot for being able to put his craft down neatly in the middle of the road, at the bottom of that canyon on a windy day.) The victim was scanned, examined and determined to have a concussion and released from the hospital. A really wicked conclusion and some nasty bruises. Those with training who were first on the scene said that he did appear to have a dislocated left shoulder but that it must have reseated itself because it wasn't dislocated when he got to MCR. Thankfully this was all. Hell this was enough !

The Fire Chief, Incident Commander and a number of the emergency personnel complimented us on our handling of the situation both before and after they arrived. We weren't the usual set of victims they have to deal with.

Lessons learned:

Get some swift water rescue training. We had enough in our group that we were able to quickly self organize. Better yet you AND you buddy get some training because you might need rescuing some day. Pickup some first aid or first responder training too.

Always boat with a group. 3 or more is better.

If you're on the water and see a group working on someone stop, and see if they need help. We watched several kayakers go by and only one asked if we were ok.

If there's head or neck pain you must stabilize the victim immediately.

Have a Safely Meeting before getting on. How else will your buddy know to tell the EMT which medicines you are allergic to ?

This was an experienced boater who hit a rock underwater.
Sometimes we invite catastrophe ; Sometimes stuff happens.
Count your blessings, take care of the earth and love those around you.
whitewater golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #10

front range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
I forgot to nominate the MVP (Most Valued Paddler) during this incident. It took all of use to pull this off - from blocking river traffic so the dive team could get across to helping manage lines to ferry over the zodiac to stabilizing the victim, collecting gear afterwards to taking care of the victim's significant other who had to watch this all unfold. Trip members checked in with each other so we could account for everyone all the time and no one made themselves a second victim. It really was close to a text book example of how to do it.

Still, I have two MVP nominations.

First nomination goes to the two gals who held the victim stationary for what seemed like 20 or 30 minutes until he was put on a backboard and continued holding the backboard for another 15 or 20 minutes while the EMS crew worked on him and he was brought over to the road. The were in the water much of that time. One commented that is was like holding the Yoga pose 'Chair Position' for an hour. More than 24 hrs later they both said that their legs were still really sore. If either of you want leg massages just let me know . * Times are approximate - I didn't have a watch on.

My second nomination goes to the victim. Despite having suffered a severe head impact/concussion and possible shoulder location he not only held onto his paddle but helped kick swim into the eddy. Talk about a "good victim".

I'll remember this next time I contemplate throwing away my gear during a swim.
whitewater golf is offline   Reply With Quote