INFO on Ruby/Horsethief canoe trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2008   #1

INFO on Ruby/Horsethief canoe trip

I floated Ruby/Horsethief last Sept/Oct, but went with a group of friends who arranged everything. I am interested in planning for another trip this coming summer. How do I make sure that I am able to get a camp site at Black Rock before planning the entire trip and driving down there to put in at Loma? Last year I was told that you had to be physically present to sign up for a camp site a few days in advance. How fast do they typically fill up? Also, we went in August and ended up getting rained on the second day. What is the best time to go? June or August maybe? Thanks! Sara

sarajanepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008   #2

Palisade, Colorado
yes, you do have to sign up for camps in person on the morning of your launch...but that sign up system is only as good as the person's word signing it. I've been screwed that way before. some dude with a motor (!!!) on the back of his brand fancy new green Maravia raft decided he had better motor past us and take the camp that we requested, sending us floating into the night searching for the next place to camp...but i digress...

H-O-T. like 100-110, so if thats your thing...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #3
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Go during the week and you'll likely have the place to yourself. Launching early in the morning is another way to ensure you'll get the camp you want.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have been signed up for a camp and had people show up and make us leave because they said it was theirs. Unloading millions of kids and dogs just to piss us off.
It is hard because you can sign up and someone will already be at your camp like Peak said or you can put in early and get a camp and they will kick you out anyway. . . Its sad, as it used to be such a great weekend float trip. It is almost too crowded to even put in on weekends. Weekdays are better.
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
First up, best dressed

Last time I floated Ruby/Horsethief and signed up for a campsite the previous evening, we got screwed by a big party who camped in our space. Which I gather is pretty common practice.

We did it over a weekendó too crowded. Weekday would be the ticket. Sign up the evening before and put in early. Or, do two camps, with Blackrock the second day. You'd beat the geeks down there, and could spend the afternoon hiking or swimming.

There are some neat-looking canyon hikes on that reach.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #6

nerd
another approach is to skip black rock and camp upstream(?) at a spot I think is called the rook. Or ... I canoed it in December once and the only other people I saw until the Westwater take out were two duck hunters along horsethief bench. sad thing is they shot a duck that landed in the river and they just left it to float away ...
westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfall View Post
another approach is to skip black rock and camp upstream(?) at a spot I think is called the rook. Or ... I canoed it in December once and the only other people I saw until the Westwater take out were two duck hunters along horsethief bench. sad thing is they shot a duck that landed in the river and they just left it to float away ...
We just did it over Thanksgiving and didn't see anyone else the whole time. It's not warm, but it is beautiful and the Bald Eagles are abundant. June is probably busier than August.

I agree that camping above Black Rocks might be better- maybe Mee Canyon. Here's a map with campsites.

http://www.rmskc.org/documents/blm-colo-l-w.pdf
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
security

If your new to this run, please research possible security issues on leaving your car at the put-in.
Old 01-31-2008   #9

Hi,

There seem to be very few problems with cars left at the Westwater ranger station. Other than finding a parking spot on the popular weekends......

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #10

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Yes, the put-in is where I heard you need to be concerned.

Tags
canoe