info on royal gorge needed? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2005   #1

info on royal gorge needed?

At this H2O level is the put in still parkdale?
And where is the take out?

also, someone told me that after going right at sunshine you go left on everything after that?

I am a solid class III-IV boater.

Thanks for the help.
David

dlacour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005   #2

Boatin', Colorado
Yes, Parkdale is the put in, City Park is the take out - once you're out of the Gorge the park is a long and dull paddle at this level, stay in the current, portage the damn near the end.

At this level you have to perform the S-move at Sunshine, it is on the right. You can go left on everything after that. However be careful in the Narrows of the rebar sticking out on river left.
Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #3

C.O.
If you want to cut the flatwater, you can put-in the river at the bridge. As you come down the hill toward Parkdale and cross the bridge, pull off in a little pull-off on the right, not blocking the rancher access. Walk back along a fisherman made trail through sagebrush to the river. It's my preferred -500cfs put-in.

A far better take-out at this level is at Tunnel Drive.... It will cut 20-30 minutes of flatwater at this level. It's on river left directly after the pink house at the tail end of a bushy island on the left. There will be a small trail. Cross down the tracks 50 feet or so and cross the canal using a 12-15 inch wide walk bridge, up the small hill to the car. You miss that Canon City wave drop with this take-out, but it's not worth seeing for another 1000 cfs or so. No wave to surf anyway at this level...not even close.

To get there by car, just turn left on Tunnel Drive off highway 50 after the right-hand curve after the territorial prison as you are leaving Canon City. Follow to dead end, park on the left facing the river. If you find yourself driving up above and along the river dodging dog-walkers and bikes on the tunnel trail, back up...you went too far.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005   #4

I've run le Gorge pretty low and it's actually a lot of fun. It still keeps some of its difficulty in parts but is much more like a creek run than river.
If you know the run at high water, not much need to scout at low water, most lines are the same. If not, Sunshine and sledgehammer may be worth taking a look at, wall slammer is pretty easy as there is just one line at low water. I can't remember, but I believe the boat eater hole in sledgehammer is something you want to avoid at just about any level, at least it was at around 600cfs.

Have fun.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
I think the hole you are thinking of in sledgehammer is Clarks. It is still pretty nasty at low level, avoid it by going left. I think Ed has explored it at lower levels but I try to dodge it.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #6

C.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh
I think the hole you are thinking of in sledgehammer is Clarks. It is still pretty nasty at low level, avoid it by going left. I think Ed has explored it at lower levels but I try to dodge it.
There is no hole at this level. What follows is a long description of a non event. At this level, the spot doesn't earn a name. Maybe class III- with just a couple tongues that pass a rock on the right.

The rocks that create Clark's hole are exposed at this level... The pour-over rock is up and half dry with a slot of water on river right against the cliff.... With speed you can go over the rock and slide down the other side into the semi-slack water below. I did get a BigEZ through that right slot at this level a couple years ago, but I forget how tight it was. The bottom rock that pushes the water river-right is a pyrimid, high and dry. The "hole" is a eddy now. There is actually two lines.... The usual hard river-left line and a center line that pushes to the left (Mike Brown's line of choice that day).... both pass to the left of the bottom pyrimid rock. While dorking around the other week, I did get upside down, and got a roll (3rd try) while against the cliff as I flushed away. I was too stubborn to do a off-side roll--no real danger here at this level. Here's a pic of it all at this level... benign.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...89792496nGxrvi
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote