info on deso in early july - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2008   #1

steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
info on deso in early july

Wondering if anyone has run deso in early july and has any info about the run that time of year.
Flow, bugs, good camps, etc.
Thanks

striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008   #2

As the flows drop (typical of that time of year) the bugs can become horrrrrrendous. I've known people (avid boaters) who said they would have rather stayed at home. Come prepared for that.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Count is right. On Deso/Gray I once sat in my tent in the heat and refused to come out for dinner because I was getting eaten alive.

The put-in can be a massacre too. Notice those little screened-in huts that they have there. Somebody crammed little balls of toilet paper into every hole in those screens in a desperate attempt to keep the bugs out.

On that trip I would say that a 12-pack per day per man would not be nearly enough. Budget between 18-24 per day per man. It is the only thing that will make you not mind the bugs so much. If you do it right, you should have about a 1/2 ton pickup truck load of beer piled on the beach at the put-in.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
As the flows drop (typical of that time of year) the bugs can become horrrrrrendous. I've known people (avid boaters) who said they would have rather stayed at home. Come prepared for that.
Anyone know when the bugs recede in there? August? September? Want to maybe get a late season run in but don't like the idea of a superhot mosquito infested run.

Ben
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Deso Bugs

They're worst at the Sand Wash put-in. Ultimate Evil!!!

Last time we ran it (mid July), we rigged the evening before our launch wearing rainpaints and shell parkas, headnets, shoes, and even gloves. We still got nailed around the ankles and wrists. Next time I might bring gaiters.

I'm not fainthearted, having worked as a backcountry ranger and range rider in some seriously buggy terrain. But the mosquitoes at Sand Wash are a quantum leap from buggy.

Still, the run is worth it. Best strategy is to get there the day before, rig after sunset, launch early, and go like hell the first day. The river's flat and brushy there, and the first night's camp can be a trial.

But it eases up after that. Where the rapids start, the mosquitos end. You might have yellowjackets or scorpions or ants. But at least you can sit on the shore and watch the sunset in peace.

Deso's a favorite: amazing rock walls, fun rapids, good canyon hikes, excellent camping. I've not run in the fall and would like to: mid-October when the cottonwoods are gold.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #6

incline village, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
Yeah the bugs are bad. I did a trip around july 4th a few years ago and the first day I rowed until I got well into desolation canyon, they thin out once you get deeper in the canyon. I stopped at one potential camp and the bugs swarmed out. The worst I've ever seen and I used to work in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota.

As for the flows go in May. I rowed the river in 3 1/2 days but it was all work. In May you can float the whole thing in three days. But do a five day trip there are so many cool things in those canyons.
SNCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #7

incline village, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
oh and ben i think august the bugs are pretty much gone. My first time down we launched august 10th ish and there were no bugs. i think the heat gets them
SNCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #8

steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the info.
It looks like I may go early july. Lots of beer and bug nets sounds like good advice.
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #9

Dirt Bag USA, Colorado
We have ran it in late July and early August. I completely agree with the 24 beers pp/per day!! Eat some garlic at the put-in and the bugs are not bad.
dashzoo is offline   Reply With Quote