Inflatable Kayak/Big Hips - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2015   #1

Elk Creek, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2015
Inflatable Kayak/Big Hips

I need some advice on inflatable kayaks. I am trying to buy one for my mom and dad. My mom is thin but she is well-endowed in the hips and my dad is a little larger than her. Every inflatable I have found has an interior width of 11-15 inches. When sitting, my mom is 17 inches across and my dad is around 19. Are the interior widths set in stone? Do these kayaks stretch when you sit in them? Are there any kayaks that cater to larger hips? Am I too concerned with interior widths matching their hip widths?

Help!

beckadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015   #2

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Are you looking for a single or tandem? Whitewater or flatwater?

I use an NRS Maverik II on. NRS clams that its 36" with 11" tubes. I have a 34' waist and I have plenty of room, even with a drysuit and PFD.

The NRS Outlaw II is less money, lighter and is supposed to be 39" wide.

Do you have a local shop or friends that will let them sit in one?
athelake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #3

Elk Creek, Virginia
Thank you for the fast reply! Preferably it would be a tandem and it would be used in calm ocean, rivers, and lakes, not whitewater or rough ocean. The only stores nearby are chain stores and they don't have inflatables on display to try out. Their waist measurements are similar to yours so that could be an option. My main concern is them being squeezed in the hip/seat area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
They'll likely touch the tubes, but I doubt they will be squeezed in. think comfy like a beanbag chair.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #5

Elk Creek, Virginia
Thanks, Philip. The bean bag was a good analogy to put my mind at ease. Any suggestions on which kayak? I'm trying not to spend too much but I don't want extremely low quality, either.
Old 01-21-2015   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Tomcat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckadawn View Post
Thanks, Philip. The bean bag was a good analogy to put my mind at ease. Any suggestions on which kayak? I'm trying not to spend too much but I don't want extremely low quality, either.
The Tributary Tomcat Tandem would probably suit your needs. I've linked to a wireframe diagram from the Aire website that identifies a 15" interior width, but it seems roomier than that. My father-in-law, who is pretty hefty, has used it no problems on lakes, and it is about as stable as IKs come. I've had mine for 9 years with no issues whatsoever, so pretty durable in my experience, and the Tributary line is definitely on the affordable end of the IK price spectrum.

http://www.aire.com/aire/images/prod...t%20Tandem.pdf
Old 01-21-2015   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckadawn View Post
Thank you for the fast reply! Preferably it would be a tandem and it would be used in calm ocean, rivers, and lakes, not whitewater or rough ocean.
Based on your expected use, you might try asking your question (especially which boat) over at paddling.net -- the mtn. buzz is more whitewater oriented.
Paddling.net Discussion Forum

Aire has a couple of IKs that are not primarily whitewater machines -- check those out. Specialty Series, Tributary Touring Series, and maybe Strike.
Inflatable kayaks for whitewater and expedition kayaking river trips | AIRE
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Not sure where these companies are getting these dimensions...11" interior? really? My 7 year old son wouldnt fit in that.

I have a buddy 6'-4" and 280 lbs who fits in an NRS and Aire inflatable (single and tandem) that he owns....no problems.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I have the Sawtooth too - great boat, much faster on flat water than the Tomcat Tandem, but also narrower interior, which is why I suggested the Tomcat to the OP.

http://www.aire.com/aire/images/prod...20Sawtooth.pdf

My hefty father-in-law is definitely more comfortable in the Tomcat, but can fit in either without difficulty. They aren't hard shells after all...
Old 01-21-2015   #10

Elk Creek, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
Based on your expected use, you might try asking your question (especially which boat) over at paddling.net -- the mtn. buzz is more whitewater oriented.
Paddling.net Discussion Forum

Aire has a couple of IKs that are not primarily whitewater machines -- check those out. Specialty Series, Tributary Touring Series, and maybe Strike.
Inflatable kayaks for whitewater and expedition kayaking river trips | AIRE
Thank you for your suggestion. I knew I was probably in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where to post.