In stream white water parks vs pumped white water - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-03-2018   #1

In stream white water parks vs pumped white water

So what kind of white water parks are more fun and popular in stream like rio vista or pumped white water parks like okc and usnwc

Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You get a much, much bigger variety in features and scenery visiting in-stream whitewater parks. Plus there are so many more of them I have no doubt in-stream is also more popular. Just on the Upper Arkansas we have whitewater parks in Buena Vista, Salida, Canon City and Pueblo, and each one has a different character.

Plus we have whitewater festivals all summer long that utilize in-stream whitewater parks for competitions. A couple examples include Paddlefest, FibArk, Teva Mountain Games, Lyons Outdoor Games and the Golden Games.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018   #3

Both? In stream are great when the water is flowing. Pumped are great because they're consistent when and where there is no naturally flowing whitewater.

Loveland, CO was trying to get funding to build a pumped park. I would have loved to have one in state, which would be great for extending our season, but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely to happen. It's been stalled since they secured funding from the state back in 2015, although it sounds like they're still trying to make it happen:

City to give update on Regional Tourism Authority water park, resort - Loveland Reporter-Herald
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Well, in flow parks are generally free... and open 24/7 (like in san marcos) or at least dusk till dawn.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018   #5

Yah they where planning a riverpark in Kansas but some Chinese guy complained about it because he wanted to build a restaurant there and claimed it would drive away his customers.
Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer242 View Post
Yah they where planning a riverpark in Kansas but some Chinese guy complained about it because he wanted to build a restaurant there and claimed it would drive away his customers.
he must a spent some time around kayaking run takeouts and knew seeing vertical smiles would run his custys off.

gamer there's this thing called "nature" and you should check it out sometime.
Old 12-05-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This is probably a pipe dream but,someday maybe a certain element in this country will pull their heads out of their asses and support large scale development of renewable energy.If battery storage remains an obstacle to consistent power from wind and/or solar, then one of the solutions is to use surplus energy from when there is wind or sun to pump water uphill to a reservoir to be released for power generation when needed.This would entail many small scale hydro projects.Not a new idea.My proposal is that some of them be designed to kill two birds with one stone and function as whitewater parks as well as power stations.So it is self contained circuit that recycles the water in man-made and/ or natural channels. I know recreation is way down the list of priorities .I would like to see that thinking change and the two birds with one stone mentality become dominant,not just regarding WW rec.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
In stream features also help in securing water rights on the river.
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
This is probably a pipe dream but,someday maybe a certain element in this country will pull their heads out of their asses and support large scale development of renewable energy.If battery storage remains an obstacle to consistent power from wind and/or solar, then one of the solutions is to use surplus energy from when there is wind or sun to pump water uphill to a reservoir to be released for power generation when needed.This would entail many small scale hydro projects.Not a new idea.My proposal is that some of them be designed to kill two birds with one stone and function as whitewater parks as well as power stations.So it is self contained circuit that recycles the water in man-made and/ or natural channels. I know recreation is way down the list of priorities .I would like to see that thinking change and the two birds with one stone mentality become dominant,not just regarding WW rec.
There are a couple of parks that were built to take advantage of existing infrastructure, so it's not an entirely new idea. There's ASCI, which is a whitewater park that was built to take advantage of the pumps that a ski resort had already installed to pump water to the top of the mountain for it's snow making machines. Dickerson Whitewater Course was built in the outflow channel of a power plant.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote