Improvements Golden Kayak Course - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-22-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
Improvements Golden Kayak Course

The City of Golden is committed to annual repairs, maintenance and improvement of the Kayak Park. These improvements are based on user group suggestions, engineering recommendations and budget. In March the City retained REP and Left Hand Excavating to complete 2010 schedule.

This work included
1) Bank retention and stabilization of the put-in area.
2) Bolstering of the river left wing (that was previously built up by hand placed rocks) on the third drop which will increase the dynamic power of that drop at lower flows.
3) Rehabilitation of the bleacher hole including changes in geometry, pool configuration, and orientation.
4) Replacing random boulders to optimize slalom opportunities in the pool below the bleacher hole.
5) Creation of a meandering pilot channel, replacement of low deflectors, and placement of random boulders in the “beginner” area between the pedestrian bridge and the Library Hole. The work included additional terracing just upstream of the pedestrian bridge to increase access and decrease erosion, plus minor improvements just upstream of the Library Hole to facilitate access.

Paul Burkholder
Parks, Cemetery and Forestry Manager

pburkholder_at_cityofgolden.net
[Admin note - revised email address to mitigate spambot harvesting]

pburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Nice to see Golden committed to the park and its users, very cool. Excited to see the changes at Bleacher hole.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #3

Golden, Colorado
One of my neighbors works with a parks and recreation committee for the City of Golden. I know that they truly are committed to keeping the park in good shape. She has asked me several times what I think of the playpark.

I'm a horrible playboater (playboating is just roll practice for me) so I can't give good feedback on tuning the features but any good playboaters out there who are willing to give some constructive feedback before, during, or after the season... I know that the City of Golden will listen to you.

Thanks for posting!!!
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010   #4

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
This all sounds good to me. I am ready to start hitting up the low water library hole sessions anytime. I hated to miss the warm days last week.

When are these changes/improvements going to start and finish?

Much thanks to Golden for this great asset to the area! Thanks Paul for the update!
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
All improvements have been completed for 2010. This spring/summer we will analyze and begin making plans for 2011 improvements.
Old 03-22-2010   #6

Duhrango
I saw the bleacher hole improvements the other day and overall it looks good. BUT if someone in a kayak or tube tries to run it left - one of the rocks has a big ole protrusion sticking up about 5 inches above the rest of the rocks. A real butt ripper and I just cannot for the life of me understand why someone doing the work did not look at what they just did and cut that thing off. Even hitting that in a boat is going to cause some grief. All the other rock surfaces are nice and pretty level going down the ramp but this rock is just sticking right up there. Brilliant.
Old 03-22-2010   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I saw the bleacher hole improvements the other day and overall it looks good. BUT if someone in a kayak or tube tries to run it left - one of the rocks has a big ole protrusion sticking up about 5 inches above the rest of the rocks. A real butt ripper and I just cannot for the life of me understand why someone doing the work did not look at what they just did and cut that thing off. Even hitting that in a boat is going to cause some grief. All the other rock surfaces are nice and pretty level going down the ramp but this rock is just sticking right up there. Brilliant.
No biggie. I don't think it's really signficant. I'll run it right over (boing) on my way to the eddy below the hole to wait my turn to play in the hole.

The holes are for playing (in the hole). The in-between sections are for slalom. Beginners (and tubers) that want downriver practice use both of those and they are going to be fine no matter what crazy line they pick down any feature in that park. I don't think the holes should be tailored for beginner downriver runners and tubers, beyond keeping them from becoming so sticky they cause trouble. I wouldn't worry about it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
I think the butt ripper in question is just a rock tossed in that hasn't been rolled away by the current. The day after the water was rechanneled through the drop was smooth. The only thing I see is that the surfers left side might need to be pinched in a little to increase the pile. Nice to see the park wont go untouched for years to come!
mountainsurf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Please contact the Parks Division directly with any safety concerns. Send pictures, ask for a meeting or give an exact location of your concern. We are anxious to address any and all safety issues. Please do not count from the sideline we need everyone in the arena.
Old 03-23-2010   #10

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
That is just a loose rock tossed in by kids. I saw the thing when just completed and everything looked pretty smooth in there. Some of the cemented rocks do stick up a few inches though and this might be rough on the tubers at low water.

Quote:
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking