IMPORTANT Help save the Uganda and the people who depend on it! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-07-2014   #1

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
IMPORTANT Help save the Uganda and the people who depend on it!

Steve Fisher's home river is up on the chopping block. There are roughly 8,000 Ugandans who depend on this river for income. In all reality this will contribute to starvation... Please take the few seconds it takes to click on the button which says "sign". Thank you so much.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Government_of_Uganda_PROTECT_THE_SOURCE_OF_THE_NIL E_AND_THE_COMMUNITIES_THAT_DEPEND_ON_IT/?fbdm

wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014   #2

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
How about giving a damn about something local.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #3

Gunnison, 81230
What makes you think I haven't asshole? Don't reply to things like this if you're not going to help. I'm one of the people who were trying to push AW's survey so we can have reasonable flows forever, so DO NOT GIVE ME THIS. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabimike View Post
What makes you think I haven't asshole? Don't reply to things like this if you're not going to help. I'm one of the people who were trying to push AW's survey so we can have reasonable flows forever, so DO NOT GIVE ME THIS. Thanks
I think its really sad that we as a people on this planet have the resourses to end poverty and we don't. There are many ways to end extreme poverty and building damns could be one solution. Here in the states electricity and water deversion has made many peoples lives better and made most of Califorina and Nevada livable and prosperous. Southern Cali and Nevada would be nothing without major damns. I beleive the area of the world you are talking about just might benefit by a big damn. Maybe not?

Also: I am sadened by your response above. You should be ashamed of yourself for over reacting. Your response will have a negitive impact on this thread and you should work to stay on track and not let the haters get to you.

Peace out.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #5

Gunnison, 81230
Those dams which greatly contributed to the death of the Colorado river's delta. The Colorado no longer reaches The Sea of Cortez. They did this by water diversion and evaporation due to a larger surface area in a completely arid area. I have a lot of fun at Lake Powell, however I think because of its size it's unsustainable, not to mention dams destroy ecosystems...

South Africa is a completely different story. Ugandans have used and lived from this river for almost as long as people have lived. Africa is the cradle of life for the human race. Adaptation is going to be hard and make the entire area poor since these people are obviously being taken advantage of. There otherwise wouldn't be an outcry of that volume. . . Dams = bad every time. It's literally giving the planet localized heart attacks since rivers are the earths and everyone's life blood. Industrialization is ugly, greedy, and as we've seen with nuclear power, probably the end for the human race if we don't try harder to live side by side with nature.

Did that guy not deserve it? This really is a HUGE issue for the area. It's greedy to say screw all of those people and take their homes and everything they knew away from them. Westernization isn't always a good thing.
Old 03-07-2014   #6

Gunnison, 81230
Anyone who loves rivers and has a brain cell should not be a dam lover, unless you're talking about the love for blowing them up. Monkey Wrench Gang for life bitch! I say and do what I want. If you pass judgement, honestly you can kiss my ass.
Old 03-11-2014   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
Interesting study of mega-dams, which (like toll roads) almost always exceed their projected costs and fail to deliver all the promised benefits.

See the BBC summary: BBC News - Do massive dams ever make sense?

and here's a link to the publication:

Should we build more large dams? The actual costs of hydropower megaproject development
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #8

Gunnison, 81230
Thanks John!!! Sorry more the nonsense above...
Old 03-12-2014   #9

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
7,000,000,000 (7 billion) people on the planet.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
If I had been president Roosevelt I'd have told them to forget that cork; we don't need no stinking bathtub in the dessert.

Seriously, the economic forces driving dams aren't going away. And, as flood control they do enhance the lives of those living down stream. And, like it or not, we have a longer, more stable running season in the Grand Canyon because of that stinking cork named for the canyon it killed. And, hydro electric generation is the cleanest and over the long run cheapest electricity we can get right now.

Displacing the native population, if compensation is fair and relocation assistance is done right doesn't have to be a bad thing afterall.

That said, we don't really need a 600' cork in the river to achieve the goals of flood control, water management and hydro generation.

If Glen Canyon dam had been say half it's height we'd at least have some of Glen canyon to enjoy, and the flood control, and the water management and the cheap clean hydro. In dry years maybe we'd have to ask the Las Vegas bunch to tone it down a bit..........or a lot..........but then I'd think that was a good thing in any case.

And who thinks megalopolis LA wouldn't benefit from a decrease in population? I mean, do we really need all those damn people out there?

I still dream of the day that Glenn Canyon fails, and I'm at say, mile 25 sitting in my 18' Avon, nose downstream, ready to ROCK!!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote