Im missing a season of boating to thru hike the appalacian trail.. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-21-2009   #1

all over colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Im missing a season of boating to thru hike the appalacian trail..

I have decided after much thinking that i'm going to thru hike the appalacian trail starting in march..cant wait...

mtnkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
So you are actually going to fly to South America to be with your mistress, right!

Sounds like a cool plan, how far are you going and how are you going to do it?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #3

Well its a hike that is over 2,000 miles long it starts in goergia and goes to maine..It takes 6-9 months to complete depending on speed and health..ah you walk the whole way well hike actually with everything you need on your back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009   #4

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
should be a life-changer. i had plans to do the PCT 6 years ago, but i let a couple of things get in the way and never did the trip. good luck. go light. eat plenty.
Old 10-22-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
What I mean is are you going to cache supplies (doubtful) or just plan on where you can resupply. To tell the truth, I have never looked into the trail but I assume you can get supplies on route.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
have fun. beautiful trail.
beware the packrats
bring lots of peanut butter
fond memories of the lemon squeezer in Harriman (NY)
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Good for you! I've hiked the end - Mt. Katahdin in Maine - and started the thru hike many years ago from the southern terminus, but bailed due to poor planning. There are a lot of great resources out there to help you do it right.
Old 10-22-2009   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
There are huge failure rates for those that start. Plan it out well to make the initial effort worth your while. I used to live about a mile from the trail in PA. PA is considered the worst section because of the ankle breaking rocks and constant elevation gain/loss Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.

That being said, I hiked the trail regularly and enjoyed the trail and the many views if offered.

So have fun!
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Definatly look around for info on the internet. There are a lot of differnet ways to do things...some better than others.

I know some ultra light thru hikers that are crazy but they have good ideas and know what works well and what doesnt.

Good luck and have a great time
Old 10-22-2009   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
There are huge failure rates for those that start. Plan it out well to make the initial effort worth your while. I used to live about a mile from the trail in PA. PA is considered the worst section because of the ankle breaking rocks and constant elevation gain/loss Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.

That being said, I hiked the trail regularly and enjoyed the trail and the many views if offered.

So have fun!
I have hiked the At in PA as well becuse i lived like and hour from it it does have so terriable awfull rocks but i cant wait i have done my research and have read many AT book and have read the guide covere to cover I should be ready..lol