I'm buying a new boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2013   #1

craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm buying a new boat

Hey all,
I'm buying a new boat and unfortunately I live in a area where demoing all the boats I'm interested would cost me about a $1000 in gas.
I'm 6' 230lbs class II - III(-) runner. Can surf and My roll is pretty good. Looking for a river runner with play ability. Currently riding a Dagger G-Ride 6.5 and after 2 hours i can barely walk. So my question is... Jackson Super Fun, Liquid Logic Freeride 67, or Wavesport Fuse 64 ?

Thanks and may the flow be ever in your favor !

nwcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
me personally have tried the fuse & freeride I feel the fuse is more runner then play and the ride is more play then runner both are great options and will fit you nicely I like both outfitting Liquid logic has awesome outfitting while the 2013 outfitting for wavesport is highly customizable good luck in your search im 6 foot 225lbs size 12 feet and I have room for a base block very comfy!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
All are good choices and you really can't go wrong with any. I've been using a SuperFun for a long time and it's a great combination of river runner with plenty of playbility. For most the outfitting on the SuperFun and FreeRide will be more comfortable than the Fuse. The Fuse will take more work to get the fit dialed in. You should be able to get a Fuse or SuperFun in the $400-$500 range used and a bit more for the FreeRide since it's a newer design and harder to find used. At 6'3", 250+ lbs I can sit for hours straight without problem in a SuperFun.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Dont forget the Pyranha Varun- dont think its getting the attention it deserves. Really a great boat. The lack of attention it is getting (being honest, its in a field of great boats- I really think there are 4 good solid choices, there might be a best one for an individual based on fit etc.., but really hard to go wrong) means there are deals to be had. I picked mine up new last fall for $700- not bad for a new boat. Its fast enough to catch waves other boats seem to have trouble with, spins like its on autopilot, and is a blast to eddy hop down the river.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #5

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcbrew View Post
Hey all,
I'm buying a new boat and unfortunately I live in a area where demoing all the boats I'm interested would cost me about a $1000 in gas.
I'm 6' 230lbs class II - III(-) runner. Can surf and My roll is pretty good. Looking for a river runner with play ability. Currently riding a Dagger G-Ride 6.5 and after 2 hours i can barely walk. So my question is... Jackson Super Fun, Liquid Logic Freeride 67, or Wavesport Fuse 64 ?

Thanks and may the flow be ever in your favor !
I'm digging my Dagger Jitsu a ton. My 2c
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Fellow fat guy in a little boat here. On FatmanZ's recommendations I looked at the new SuperStar this year from Jackson. It has quite a bit more room and volume that the previous years. It's not as playful as the old one, but it makes a great river runner. I'm 210 and 6'1 with size 12's.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #7

craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks all. I was able to try a super fun over the weekend. Great boat but unbelievable even to me it felt a little too big.
nwcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #8

Enfield, New Hampshire
If the second version of the super Fun felt big, try the classic SF. I bought it when I was around 215-220 lbs and have enjoyed it immensely.Its a surfing demon, runs class 3 awesome, rolls very easy, and is super comfy. I think its very underrated, and Jackson went a little too big with the second version.
Just throwing it out there.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #9

Northern Utah, Utah
I personally thought the 2nd generation was a huge improvement over the original - the stern on the original was not the best design and the overall outfitting was also improved (then again, mine was a 2004 with the rachet backband). The 2nd gen SuperFun is definitely a big boat at 70 gallons. You may want to check out a 3rd generation 4Fun - it may fit you better than the Super - and the design is said to be a bit more playful than 2nd gen.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #10

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Jitsu us where its At
harper80 is offline   Reply With Quote