If you moved to another country, where would you live? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-17-2010   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you moved to another country, where would you live?

Not just talking vacation, but actually living there, too.

Seems like Scandinavia
is where it's at, if you want to keep boating and have a good amount of options, when you live in Europe. Norway, or Sweden, I think. Then again, south of Scandinavia, in Germany? Or maybe I'm clueless and haven't actually researched this much at all?

Obviously not Spain. Too many Spaniards move out here to kayak , so I'm assuming there's no reason go there for boating.

Prague is a good place, if you have absolutely no sense of adventure, and just want to paddle to look like a cultured sprcha za. It sounds like a nice place, but not really a Buzzard's playground. North Italy, seems like a good place to live (well, sorta), and in close-enough proximity to good whitewater.

I think there's probably a lot of less-documented places around the world. Every nook and cranny of river is laboriously well-documented in North America, especially in the Rockies, but I get the feeling there's hidden treasures out side of North America, if you know where to look. Best kept secrets of Asia, perhaps. I once went to Kawasan falls, and I wonder what's it like at high water. Problem is, it's been made into a resort, so your only chance at it would be in the rain when there's no people there, and then you'd probably get in trouble, I don't know.

New Zealand would be the best option, I think, but it'd be hard unless you're somehow able to get a job there and stuff. I know someone who's there on a work-visa as a nurse. No way that I could pull that off. I'm sure they only hire pretty Asian nurses, as far as work-visas go.

Phuket. I might be going to Thailand. Cheap, easy, heck you could probably get a job there as a safety yak for for the commercial rafting. Or just teach english. Might be a dangerous place to live though, not sure.

Japan would be great, but I look at that option the same way I see New Zealand. Out of my reach. Any place where I can have robots serve me ramen noodles, is probably out of my league. That's land of the sushi, and my wallet is already bleeding, just thinking about it. Even if I did get a job out there, it'd probably be hard to find time to get out on the rivers. Unless I happen to have a job near a good river.

China... well the world's favorite river got the world's biggest dam, so I'm not sure if that's worth checking out now. I wouldn't be surprised if there's lots of hidden gems there, though.

Just my idle curiosity, at work. Speaking of which, I should get back to work.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
New Zealand by a big margin!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #3

Littleton, Colorado
I just remembered my trip to Bohol, and thought to look up the river there. It looks like it'd be fun.

It'd probably be hard to land a job right in Bohol, but you could ferry there on the weekends, from Cebu City.

The problem with Cebu is, not sure if you could really make significant income there. Most Filipinos make around $5 a day, last I checked. You could maybe live off that in the Philippines, but you wouldn't be able to afford kayaking gear, and weekly ferries to Bohol. Heard about other options for income that are better paying and kind of exclusive to foreigners, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010   #4

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I always keep my passport on me for the day I have to run for the undisclosed location in Central or South America.

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not after me!
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #5

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Chile is very user friendly. Get a job at Earth River and hang on the Fu.
Old 11-18-2010   #6

Littleton, Colorado
I didn't realize Chile was such a chill place to live. Although I'd be hesitant to become a miner, there.
Old 11-18-2010   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If your heading to China you better hurry. Damn dams are being built everywhere, but there is plenty of water right now and not a lot of boaters.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #8

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
New Zealand rules if you bring a job and a girl - just like a ski town, but better because there's no tourons.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
New Zealand rules if you bring a job and a girl - just like a ski town, but better because there's no tourons.
Joe
I heard that immigrating there is really hard, though.
Old 11-19-2010   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
beerland.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote