If this happened in the boating community... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-22-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If this happened in the boating community...

Another mid-winter post: I always find it interesting that two people can get killed in a day of skiing and it warrants a small, back page news article CU-Boulder student Evan Massini dead after accident at Breckenridge - Boulder Daily Camera Whereas if someone dies in a kayak or raft accident, it makes the front page of the paper and the local news station is creating re-enactments for the 5 o'clock news. There are 10-15 ski/snowboard deaths a year in Colorado. Of course, maybe it's a sheer numbers thing--the number of people who ski/board versus the number who get into a kayak or raft. And take rafting out of the equation, and you this brings the stats for river sports down significantly...

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I see you're up early and ready to go. Justin almost died on a green this year, just ask him. Hit me up this week. I might be in The Republic of Boulder to see my cousins.
Old 11-22-2011   #3

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
I think it has to do with frequency (and that is do to #'s participating). Why don't we hear about every vehicle fatality? Because it's not usually sensational news. Why do we hear about every shark attack? Because they happen way less therefore more sensational. Just my opinions.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Meda TV Guy
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't have the paper sitting in front of me, but my recollection was that this was a front page story the other day though, no? Sounded like this guy was an experienced rider just getting some early season turns. The real question surrounding internet forum quarterbacking is, should we be outraged about this guy risking his unnecessarily by goingo skiing at Breck? Should he have just gone cross country skiing around a park instead? (that's supposed to be rhetorical - at least for this crowd)
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #5

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Probably because the news media goes into high water hysteria from late May to late June when most of these accidents happen so it is considered unusual. With skiing, however, you have a 6 month season with a steady supply of accidents and it just becomes a routine news story after awhile.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #6

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I see you're up early and ready to go. Justin almost died on a green this year, just ask him. Hit me up this week. I might be in The Republic of Boulder to see my cousins.
Which Green River. Like the Narrows? What happened?
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #7

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Which Green River. Like the Narrows? What happened?
I think he's talking about a green circle ski run....
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #8

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't think I agree with the blanket statement that all boating fatalities receive more publicity than skiing fatalities. Some boating fatalities receive a lot of publicity, others don't. The same is true in skiing. For instance, the attention that has been given to the recent passing of Jamie Pierre inbounds at Snowbird is quite significant.

My sincere condolences to the victims' families, but from what I know about the fatalities at Vail and Breckenridge, neither is particularly interesting from an armchair quarterback point of view. It sounds like they were both blunt force trauma injuries that occurred iin bounds n rather unexciting terrain. On the other hand, there are a number of interesting issues in the Pierre death. Here's some discussion if you're interested in that sort of thing: An honest (armchair) discussion of the 11/13/11 Gad Valley avalanche accident.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #9

aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
Green river ...north carolina...= green
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
no not the green, a green run, like color and circle, next would be blue, black, double black
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote