if it is any consolation to you..... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
if it is any consolation to you.....

Colorado and southern Rockies are not the only places lacking water...seems spring is coming late to the Midwest and parts of the south....went to Ohio after postponing my trip 3 weeks...a lot of the stuff I wanted to run ran during that interval but still cold...got there and no rain so too low...except Clifton Gorge (barely runnable), a super tight cool committing little limesstone chasm about 50 ft. deep and 8 to 15 ft.wide (only a mile long) semi continuous 2plus /3 minus with one tricky IV., a six foot ledge at a weird angle to the current and a grotto with bad undercut if you screw up..would like to run it..it is illegal naturally...Cuyahoga has been running and has a couple good runs, but is far and only worth going to if Tinker 's Creek is going too.....AW said Greenville Falls was too low so didn't go there, checked it out on way out of state. It looked elfable and sweet ...it is stand alone drop on flat water river....15 ft.slide to 6-8 foot boof ledge...figured Tennessee would be better so passed...checked out Ludlow falls (also illegal but you could poach it) beautiful 20 footer into pool /easy waterfall but too low with jagged lip...checked out Cumberland Falls, impressive 80 ft.big volume drop that has been done by John Grace and another guy...went to the Obed, beautiful area river low but doable -logistics a pain and signs about recent vehicle break ins...had tons of valuables on me...checked out Ozone Falls 80 -100 feet clean to pool tempted to cliff jump but no notion of depth...getting frustrated...stopped at Jackson factory to pick brains..nice folks..did not realize Rock Island

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
was right there ...looked too stout for my rusty out of shape ducky ass ..a couple rapids I could do but see ya 1000 dollar boat if I swam there..talked to Clay Wright on shuttle road..advised me to go to Tellico -Ocoee area or Little River Canyon..nice guy..Rock Island really cool, see why EJ trains there..Tellico -Ocoee kind of out of the way went for Little...checked out Old Stone Fort area of Duck River...some hucks there but too low..got to town near Little and Short ( not gunning anyway) late at night hotels a ream job..continued on did not want to backtracked...went to Alabama Sixpack on the Chehaha too low, awesome hiking and gorgeous Talladega Forrest area..rained that night the next day it was above recommended..fuck it drove to Columbus Georgia for play park...shithole hotel..next morning low looked lame plus construction going on denied access..ran some errands..went back to scope access on Alabama side...they started releading from dam...holy shit came up fast...Cutbait and some other drop were massive..even Clay commented on how big Cutbait is and this was super high..no shit 15 -20 ft.tall wave and solid big class IV bigwater rapids that were 2' s that morning torrential downpour and stupid windy...this "playpark " would be awesome under the right conditions..fuck it beachtime!!!...got to Panama City not expecting much in the way of waves...bingo big storm Thurs.night..Friday red flags at beach...saw only one 'good 'surfer ..tons of Joe Blows getting their asses kicked..right up my alley!!.. frickin ' awesome...gotass kicked right off the bat but picked up on it pretty quic k
Old 04-13-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
hauling ass faster than 200 foot per mile creekin 'by far...tons of hot girls in postage stamp sized bikinis running around...went swimming 4 times, 2 surf sessions, long walks on beach famous gulf coast Florida sunsets...salvaged the trip! !! ..Force kicked butt in the surf...headed to Arkansas Saline and Ouachita playparks running Cossatot was yesterday..hopefully at least elfable will check out Crooked Creek too, roadside IV...sorry tor multiple posts kindle gets wierded out on long posts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Boy that is a semi coherent rant., sorry...was delerious from a couple very active days and then driving 400 miles..a Sprite with 4 or 5 shots of vodka once out of car helped too...went to Dierks campground /playpark, doable but low, just barely in AW 's flow range...
did a couple laps too easy -drops not really playable -good for catching eddies and mini boofing, but could see it being good high, was designed by kayakers who seem to like looping = deep enough below ender conducive small ledges...campground is extremely nice in beautiful area...Cossstot too low...man the falls area is tortutously technical with pinning rocks and seives ..you better know where you are going ..the pictures don 't do it justice...also pretty area except tor some clear cuts...forgot to mention the Springfield, Ohio, playpark too low, unless you like Golden at 60 cfs, but has 6 drops ...3 looked lame ..three looked a lot like the Bear Hole, one maybe a better version of that..it is cool that a small city removing old dams had the sense to make a playpark....ocean surfing was by far and away the most fun I 'he had in a kayak in a couple years...lived on both coasts of Florida and these were the best waves I 'fe seen down there ever..got lucky..not do.lucky with rivers but saw alot of the south and good hiking and camping...
Old 04-17-2013   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Great BETA
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
oh yeah Dierks had a Beware of Alligators sign..they had a 4 to 5 footer living in the playpsrk and kiddies swimming beach pool for a few months last spring /Sumner (not seen since July) everybody, including the gator just went about their business with no incidents though in close proximity.
Old 04-17-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
oh yeah Dierks had a Beware of Alligators sign..they had a 4 to 5 footer living in the playpark and kiddies swimming beach pool for a few months last spring /summer (not seen since July) everybody, including the gator just went about their business with no incidents though in close proximity.