If anybody gives a $%#&@ - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If anybody gives a $%#&@

Cherry Creek Res. Is doing releases to clear sediment.I have lived near this creek for 25 years and only seen it this high once.The USGS realtime streamflow table shows it hit nearly 2000!!!!! I was looking at the drops out east (Aurora/ East Denver) on the first spike1000+ ish Cfs and they were the cleanest i have seen them and cranking then they turned it down.I went to work for a few hours and drove by Iliff falls and it was even higher.They were supposed to start on Tuesday but I don't think they did, until today or Thursday.So hopefully it will continue into tomorrow.If so I will doing the upper section tomorrow At this level there are 3 III+ drops and a dozen other drops ,some surf waves that are normally manky\ugly but easy II-III drops.If you live in East Denver or Aurora you might want to run it at least once.Let me know if you are interested.It is infinitely better at this level than even normal runnable flows.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018   #2

Denver, Colorado
check this out. i think it's done tonight...

Annual sediment flushing exercise scheduled at Cherry Creek Reservoir > Omaha District > News Releases
brochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #3

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've run many, many miles along the creek path and I don't know that I would do it. I think it looks like a great way to break equipment or yourself on all the man-made drops.

I think everyone wants pics if you go for it.

Matt
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
I have done it at lower levels( and fairly high)when it is really manky,especially Illiff, no one believes this because 98% of the creek is sandy bottom type plains creek,not even deserving to be called boogie water,but the drops are ugly like you say,but at this water level they are totally different.The three big drops are powerful and intimidating( to Joe III-IV) but straight forward and no pins, no holes,flat water above and below.The main fear should be riverwide wood in the flat eddyless sections ,but the gradient is so low you can deal with them.
Old 05-23-2018   #5
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Make sure you let it run for a little while to flush out all the homeless feces.
Old 05-24-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
Whatever bum turds were in there are long gone....a pissant creek ran at 2000 ,however briefly,it flushed the shit out of it ,figuratively and literally.I 'll try to recruit a homeless dude to photo me on Iliff,if I run it solo .They live under the bridge at the top of the drop!!Tomorrow is also 50 cent corndog day at Sonic ,two blocks away..like 7 corndogs and a coke for operating a cell phone for two minutes.
Old 05-24-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
The sediment flush did smell of stagnant mud tofay.
Old 05-24-2018   #8

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 15
wear your hazmat suits..............
riverpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018   #9

Denver, Colorado
Cherry's water is coming out of a res....there is not industrial runoff like the So.Platte...What ever happened to the So.Platte anyway?Lowest spring ever?
Old 05-24-2018   #10

Denver, Colorado
Looks like they are done...Now 18 cfs.....You should see the crazy height graph,a deadline of 30-40:st a for a week then straight up to over 1000 for a couple hours,then back to 40 for a couple hours then straight up to 2000 for a short time and drops to 18 now😕...maybe another spike ,I doubt it.