Ideas for winter boating from CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-25-2008   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Ideas for winter boating from CO

so takeme's big bend idea isn't looking too promising. what other runs are worth the big drive from CO from now through Feb? (besides the grand as I don't have that much time this winter).

hopefully the salt will run.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you seeing this storm that's comin'? NOAA says four straight days of rain in Globe starting tomorrow...
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
We were willing to drive 14 hours to Texas for Xmas. Distance is not much of an issue. Anyone done Devil's Elbow (Davis to Parker Dam)?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Yeah and here's their projection for flows...not so promising.

What about Diamond down?
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Well that's lame...

Diamond down would be sweet! I'd be in for that! depending on when it is of course. I am pretty busy all winter, but could potentially squeeze that in.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
With gas as cheap as it is, and if you were considering Big Bend, I'd look into some Mexico options. I assume you're thinking rafting, specifically. The Guayalejo in SLP might be a fun one to float; or maybe the Moctezuma south of Valles. There also might be some options in the central part of Mexico- check Robey's guide. I also remember reading a write-up in AW (I thought) about a guy (Rusty?) and his girlfriend that did a 3-4 day cataraft float on the Pacific side.

I looked on the AW archives, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was in another mag.

Came across this, though: American Whitewater - JournalPage
Old School.

Anyway- Mexico might be worth a little research. Since thanksgiving week used to be my annual trip to Valles, I'm a little nostalgic this week. But at least a poo-filled diaper awaits me each evening....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
"I also remember reading a write-up in AW (I thought) about a guy (Rusty?) and his girlfriend that did a 3-4 day cataraft float on the Pacific side.

I looked on the AW archives, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was in another mag.
"

You're probably thinking of Rocky Contos, who's the man for the Pacific side of the Sierra Madre. He's got a guide coming out and a conservation-oriented non-profit. Check out SierraRios Homepage and join up, suckaz. I think the season for the Pacific stuff is a little earlier (September-ish), though, and I know it's a long, long way away. M'lady and I are doing a bike tour south of Puerto Vallarta, and I checked into bus tix from Denver: 36 hours, direct. We're flying.
duncleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncleston View Post
[I] Check out SierraRios Homepage and join up, suckaz.
thanks duncleston, this site is cool - I'll be busy for awhile geeking out.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #9

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
[quote=El Flaco;120540]With gas as cheap as it is, and if you were considering Big Bend, I'd look into some Mexico options. I assume you're thinking rafting, specifically. The Guayalejo in SLP might be a fun one to float; or maybe the Moctezuma south of Valles. There also might be some options in the central part of Mexico- check Robey's guide. I also remember reading a write-up in AW (I thought) about a guy (Rusty?) and his girlfriend that did a 3-4 day cataraft float on the Pacific side.

------
El Flaco, your post caught my eye. I'm at work and my memory lacks as to where Valles is that you are referring to? I was a member of the 3-person team believed to have done the FD of the entire class V sections of the Moctezuma back in the '80s. We took out just before the Gulf. I'll be enthused to look it up our put in and take out when I get a chance at home. As I recall, though, there was about 90 miles of extreme (class V- to VI+) followed by 150 miles of paddling out trapped between 1000'-2000' verticle walls. It is a super isolated region. Not what I would expect anyone will get a raft on.

Thanks for posting Rocky's website. I will review it more when I have time. It will be interesting because I bleieve we also did the FDs of the Rio Urique class V section and the Rio Mezquital in VeraCruz (hee hee, ask about that one if you like). It sounds like you have an interest in Mexico boating. I am ready to go back, too. I advise doing your own research, though. Mexican maps used to suck (i.e. Moctezuma was way longer because of the constant meandering) and the Gringo's Guide is rather weak. The Robies abandoned the Moctezuma expedition midway. Also, the first attempt of the Moctezuma resulted ended in the first day with the pin and amputation of Steve's (?, I'd have to find his last name) legs. Three of us went back and completed it a year or so later. Anyway, it was all a long time ago and were incredibly difficult expeditions. I would like to do more again now, though.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 11-26-2008   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
------
El Flaco, your post caught my eye. I'm at work and my memory lacks as to where Valles is that you are referring to? I was a member of the 3-person team believed to have done the FD of the entire class V sections of the Moctezuma back in the '80s. We took out just before the Gulf. I'll be enthused to look it up our put in and take out when I get a chance at home. As I recall, though, there was about 90 miles of extreme (class V- to VI+) followed by 150 miles of paddling out trapped between 1000'-2000' verticle walls. It is a super isolated region. Not what I would expect anyone will get a raft on.

Thanks for posting Rocky's website. I will review it more when I have time. It will be interesting because I bleieve we also did the FDs of the Rio Urique class V section and the Rio Mezquital in VeraCruz (hee hee, ask about that one if you like). It sounds like you have an interest in Mexico boating. I am ready to go back, too. I advise doing your own research, though. Mexican maps used to suck (i.e. Moctezuma was way longer because of the constant meandering) and the Gringo's Guide is rather weak. The Robies abandoned the Moctezuma expedition midway. Also, the first attempt of the Moctezuma resulted ended in the first day with the pin and amputation of Steve's (?, I'd have to find his last name) legs. Three of us went back and completed it a year or so later. Anyway, it was all a long time ago and were incredibly difficult expeditions. I would like to do more again now, though.

Cheers,
Ken
Hmm- I don't have my research with me as well, but I thought there was at least a stretch of water around Tamazunchale that was a mellow float. I obviously didn't run it, but I remember it because I figured I'd have make plans to go down as a more easygoing trip with family sometime. The section I'm thinking of was in Robey's book, with a picture of some flawater around some fish traps. Ken, you'd obviously know better than I do- but knowing a little about Mexico, it could be that there's more than one reach called the 'Moctezuma' river. I've been down 6 times, although I haven't done any expeditionary stuff. Just the typical Valles day runs, and some of the stretches in the Veracruz region. I mentioned the Guayalejo because I paddled with Tom Robey a couple of days after he and his crew got off an overnight there- he said it was a nice Class II-III float. It's also only 4-5 hours south of McAllen, so the logistics aren't bad. But that's as much as I know. (For anyone planning a trip: Tom's a really nice guy, and his book is a great resource, but anyone traveling down there should take his river ratings and directions with a gain of salt.)

Anyway- I would certainly not recommend anyone raft that multiday of the Moctezuma you did. Badass stuff.

And thanks to duncleston for posting that link and Rocky's name- it was on the tip on my tongue! Great site, too.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote