Idaho to increase A.N.S. fees - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-22-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
Idaho to increase A.N.S. fees

here is the link to an article with regard to Idaho increasing fees for non motorized water craft..at the present time Colorado does not charge a fee for non motorized water craft...but I bet you will see it here in the next couple of years!

Boat sticker fees for some to increase Idaho Reporter

colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #2

Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a hard time seeing that since the state doesn't even want to give us a guaranteed right to float.
Old 03-23-2010   #3

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
In my case, this will simply cost the businesses and therefor the taxpayers of Idaho another $20 this year....the $20 I would have spent in the state while there that I specifically will not now. We will make sure to fill up in UT right before we go over the border and not leave anything to the last minute, so there are less last minute ID purchases.

And since I am paying the fee, am I no longer obligated to go through all the trouble to make sure no one brought up invasive beetle filled wood for fires? Last year I paid the fee and did the good deed, but now that the fee is higher, perhaps I will leave it to them to remove the beetles I bring up with all the extra $.

I say get rid of the fee and if someone is caught bringing in an invasive species, fine them $100,000. Publish this all over, give people info on what they are trying to avoid and call it good. Or they can just charge the next offender with all the expenses accrued to find invasive species since the last offender. Articles will be written, boats will be checked before going to ID.

Right now we all will pay the bribe and check nothing, how effective.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #4

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Right now we all will pay the bribe and check nothing, how effective.

I had my drift boat and kayak with me for 2 months in Idaho. Over 50 days on the water, and not once did anyone check for my sticker or inspect my boat. Now I'm gonna have to pay $40 bucks??? What for? What a joke.....
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieboater View Post
I had my drift boat and kayak with me for 2 months in Idaho.Now I'm gonna have to pay $40 bucks??? What for? What a joke.....
Nonmotorized (2) x $7 = $14. I'm not saying it isn't a joke, just that it'll cost you $14 not $40. And I think you can think of a way to use one sticker for 2 boats. You can do that in Oregon.
Old 03-23-2010   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
DOH!

Wadeinthewater--Gotcha... my half dead brain had to go back and re-read the article. It wasn't clear in the last sentence of the first paragraph when it said, "The cost of a sticker for out-of-state boaters would rise from $10 to $20." It didn't specify that it was for motorized out of state boaters. I'm still going to buy 2 because I'm liable to end up losing the sticker at some point if I don't keep it permanently affixed to my boat.... I also consider the whole program a joke, because not ONE person I've talked to or boated with in Idaho was even inspected or seen any enforcement of any kind. Of course, others may have different experiences.

By the way, I see you're in Walterville, how's the sticker program working in Oregon so far? I haven't lived there for 4 years, and have been wondering if Oregon is doing a better job of inspecting boats and enforcing the law? I'm hoping to move back to Oregon next fall, but not excited about having a ton of stickers all over my wooden driftboat.

I'm out... time for bed, need to get my sleep before dealing with Elementary Kids....
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
I'm still going to buy 2 because I'm liable to end up losing the sticker at some point if I don't keep it permanently affixed to my boat....
Quote:
not excited about having a ton of stickers all over my wooden driftboat.
In Oregon the permit is a piece of paper like a fishing license. It is available at any place that sells hunting and fishing licenses and is printed out of the same machine. I keep mine folded in my wallet.

Quote:
By the way, I see you're in Walterville, how's the sticker program working in Oregon so far?
The program just started in 2010 and I haven't managed to get out yet. I don't fish winter steelhead and I am more of a fair weather rafter. But I'll bet I get checked about as often as I do for a fishing license.
Old 03-24-2010   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
I only heard of one UT kayaker getting checked in ID. I wish it was as easy as a fishing license. Its just one more expense when I break a kayak.
Old 03-24-2010   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's what I did last year. Get the tag laminated (Kinkos). Punch a hole in it and attach it to whatever boat you're in with a zip tie. That way you can move it to different boats as needed. I purchased two stickers last year and used one on my boat, and loaned the other to my kayaker friend on one trip, and rafter friend on another. Last year there wasn't an out of state fee for non-motorized watercraft, just one flat fee. I think the in state/out of state refers to motorized watercraft. As for enforcement ...... I had my tag checked by the ramp ranger on every trip I did in Idaho last summer (Southfork Snake X 3, Main Salmon, Middle Fork) plus there was a check station just over the Idaho border on I-15 checking all boats. My Cat was inflated & rigged on my trailer, so I had to stop. They gave it the once over, then gave me a paper saying that it had been inspected.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
how's the sticker program working in Oregon so far? I haven't lived there for 4 years, and have been wondering if Oregon is doing a better job of inspecting boats and enforcing the law?
My half dead brain gave a bad answer late last night. The Oregon program isn't about inspecting boats. Oregon law prevents the state from setting up checkpoints like the police previously used for sobriety tests, or CA uses to prevent fruit pests entering that state. Oregon's program is education about the problem of invasive species and not just aquatics. Think about Tansy, gypsy moths, backberries and starlings. Is it fair to put the program on the backs of boaters? No. Will the program actually prevent Quagga and zebra mussels from becoming establish in Oregon? Probably not in the long run.

http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/programs/09LawsFAQs.shtml