Idaho Rivers - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-24-2012   #1

Placitas, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Idaho Rivers

I'm looking for a good guide book on Idaho rivers. I haven't seen much out there, does anyone have a good over all guide book for Idaho rivers. I was hoping one of four families would get Main Salmon but we were 0 for 4. I still have the itch and maybe if I'm up there I can get a cancellation. If not there's the Lower Salmon and a Idaho River guide may reveal more good runs. I'm all geared up with no permits (0 for 6).
Tom Cat

tcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Western Whitewater......from the Rockies to the Pacific by Cassady, Cross, Calhoun. This is my #1 go to book for river info. I consider it my Whitewater Bible. Copyright 1994, but still has all the info you need for all the western rivers. Available on Amazon.com.
For Idaho specific I also use Idaho Whitewater by Moore & McClaran, copyright 1989
I would check out NRS or Cascade Outfitters book & guide sections for guides to specific rivers.
The Main Salmon is my all time favorite river trip. We rarely pull a permit, but always pick up a trip as a cancellation. Narrow down your acceptable time frame/launch date....then start checking the website early every morning. If your group is reasonably flexible on dates, you should be able to get a permit cancellation.
Good luck.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #3

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Idaho The Whitewater State by Grant Amaral is a good one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoen View Post
I was hoping one of four families would get Main Salmon but we were 0 for 4. I still have the itch and maybe if I'm up there I can get a cancellation. If not there's the Lower Salmon and a Idaho River guide may reveal more good runs. I'm all geared up with no permits (0 for 6).
Tom Cat

Tom Cat - there are main salmon permits available up to June 19th right now. With the light winter year we are having I am expecting peak flows to happen in mid May ( MF) to late May for the Main. Depending on the age of your kids I would think a mid June launch would be awesome. There is still some winter to be had but we are right on track, in the Sawtooth and south Salmon drainages anyway, with the very dry 2007 runoff potential.

In June the syringa is going off all up and down the canyon. There should be quite a few beaches available for camping and frolic, especially further down.

catagirl should know better than I, usually I track flows on the MF more carefully. It's closer for us and easier shuttle but the Main is awesome.

More info available but what age kids? When are you trying to do it? There are tons of options in Idaho as you well know.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
C-Dog.....my rafting buddy is going on the MF in mid June. Any guess on water level? I'm so jealous of him, but I'll be rehabbing from yet another knee surgery so I can't make that trip. We've got an early July Main Salmon permit, so I'm shooting for that. Even if I'm limping & sore.....nothing will keep me off my favorite river.

Tom Cat - Get a consensus from your group on acceptable launch dates, and watch the website closely. You might end up getting the permit only a few weeks in advance, but if you have that flexibility you should be good to go. I haven't missed a Main Salmon trip in 10 years, and a lot of those were cancellations. Going pre-season (before June 19th) all depends on water level and if you & your kids can handle variable weather. I did the Main in June in 2007 and the weather & flow were great. You never know ??????

KJ aka Gimp Cat
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #6

Placitas, New Mexico
The Kids

My daughter is 14 and had her first snow camp was at 5 months old. But the other families have younger girls one of them is only four. We were hoping to head up that way the first week of July. It sounds like the run off is down this year in your parts. I haven't found much on line on the Main-Idaho so thank you for the leads on guides and all the positive energy. Keep it coming . My sister always gives me stuff on Oregon rivers and we've made up there but I'm pretty clueless on Idaho.
Thanks Tom C.
Old 02-27-2012   #7
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
It's too early to know what kind of water year this will be. Most of the snow that makes up the snowpack for runoff happens in March and April. Just as a note, the snowpack has been rising nicely in Idaho the last couple of weeks. The Middle Fork drainage went from 71% SWE to 78% in that time. If it's a good spring snow season, things could easily end up at or above 100%. The Lochsa is over 100% already.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #8

Leland, you're too modest for not mentioning your book. River Gypsies Guide to North America has good Idaho beta for the more classic day trips.
Idaho Whitewater by Moore and McClaran sweet but a bit dated.
Good luck finding Grant Amaral's guide... pricey and used. Fortunately, he updates his forum a bunch... kayakidaho.com
The Idaho Paddler by Sean Glaccum is a good updated version. Brief descriptions for the most part, but good local beta that will get you there.
There is a playboating guide too.

As far as rafting the Salmon's... stick to detailed river maps for on the water beta.
Old 02-27-2012   #9

Placitas, New Mexico
I guess I'll hold out till July to head up to Idaho, Montana. It sounds like the water in June on the Main is not a good place for the kids. We should have some action down here in June.
Thanks to all of you for your in put. I ordered two of the books and they are on the way.