Idaho invasive species sticker - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2010   #1

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Idaho invasive species sticker

Any body familiar with these stickers? According to Idaho parks and rec, they are required on any non motorized inflatable over 10 feet in length. I bought a couple just to be safe. Has any body ever been hassled on the lochsa or other whitewater in Idaho for not having them? How about means of attachment, can I hang one on a cow tag off of a d-ring or something?

mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010   #2

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
According to a local last year, the Forest Service has refused to enforce the sticker law. However, this was in Payette Drainage. I'm not sure about other parts of the state. If the Forest Service is out, I suppose game wardens and sheriffs would be the only people to worry about. It's a very unpopular program in Idaho to say the least. The stores refuse to sell the stickers, and a few river rangers refuse to enforce the law as well. I just heard Idaho law makers are looking to increase fees and establish a special out of state price as well. In the entire summer that I lived in Garden Valley, I never saw or heard of anyone getting busted for the sticker. However, I have heard of invasive species checkpoints going up along Highway 55. There again... never seen one.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
we did middle fork salmon last year. the fed rangers said they were not enforcing this. However I thought it would be too easy for some state official to be waiting at the confluence with $50 (or whatever) fines. So it was cheap insurance, and in theory its for a good cause (although in practice its probably going to plug some budget deficit somewhere else while not stepping up any actions against invasive specieds).
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
The sticker now costs $7 - they raised the price by $2 a couple months ago. They are required for all kayaks, and any inflatable over 8 feet in length. They only started the program last year, and there was very little enforcement for nonmotorized users. We'll see what happens this year. I have heard of people being ticketed for not having one, though. I believe it's a $70 fine for not having one.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Seems like a good idea to have just in case of a ranger with an attitude. Sounds more like an out of state (invasive species) tax. Maybe they made a change to the specs recently, but the parks and rec site now says 10 feet or longer.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I purchased the tags last year and laminated them (as instructed on the Parks & Rec website) then attached them to my cataraft with a zip tie. I was checked once on I-15 between the Utah state line and Pocatello at a checkpoint. I also had them casually checked by river rangers on the Southfork Snake, Main Salmon, and Middle Fork. The Middle Fork ranger told us that since it was the first year of the program, they weren't issuing fines. However, one person on The Buzz related a story about a friend getting fined by a river ranger. I bought two tags, and let a kayaker friend use one for a weekend Southfork trip. At the end of the trip she removed the tag and gave it back to me, and I let another friend use it on a Main Salmon trip. I have since learned that this is not allowed, and that was why the guy's friend got a fine. A ranger saw him take the tag off his raft and put it on his kayak (I think I got the story right). I don't mind buying the tags, but I'd sure like to get more than a one trip use out of them. I'm not sure that they'd have any way of knowing if you used the tag on more than one boat, other than watching you switch the tags right in front of them. I guess I'll let my friends fend for themselves this year instead of being a "law breaker." But I'm still buying a spare tag in case somebody from my group shows up at put-in without one.
KJ
PS - The out of state fee only applies to motorized watercraft.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
last year it was 10' limit. Not sure of the length this year ....
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #8

Sandy, Utah
Still 10 ft. for inflatables. You need a sticker for hard shell kayaks and canoes.
Old 04-11-2010   #9

Heyburn Idaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
I did the laminated thing last year as well and switched it between the drift boat motorized boat and our small fishing pontoons. this year its figured into your motorized boats registration and if its a hard boat it must be stuck on the hull. we were fishing cj strike last year and they were writing tickets left and right and I got a warning for having it laminated and velcro to the boat. also some lakes and rivers its mandatory regardless of the size of boat.
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #10

Sandy, Utah
The laminated tag is allowed on inflatables, but I guess you are supposed to have the tag stuck to the hull of hard boats (motorized boats, drift boats, kayaks, canoes). However, the ranger on the Southfork didn't comment on the fact that my friend had one of my laminated tags zip tied to her kayak. The length thing only applies to inflatables.
Adrenaline Junkey - I'm assuming the warning you got for the laminated tag was for your drift boat. If not, then the ranger needs to be educated on their own program. The instructions for using the laminated tag on inflatable boats is right on the Parks & Rec website. I have the contact info for the program manager. She says she would like to know if rangers aren't enforcing the rules properly.
KJ