Idaho in late June - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2015  

student
Idaho in late June

I'm meeting some people for a July 2nd SF Salmon Trip and am heading out June 27 to hopefully get some other runs in. I know it's not looking good, but wanted to weigh out the best options out there. Will anything be in around this time?

I'm assuming the payettes will be floatable and I'm sure I can have have 5 days worth of fun there. Other options I'm playing around with:

Riggins playboating- worth the detour?
Lochsa and SF clearwater- either of these still have water?
EFSF/Goat creek- Will these be floatable?

Thanks, starting to seem kind of crazy to leave a solid Colorado Snowpack to head there, but I always like checking out new runs even if they are low.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015  

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm assuming the payettes will be floatable and I'm sure I can have have 5 days worth of fun there.

Yes, Maybe deadwood if they reliese the dam?

Riggins playboating- worth the detour?

Most likely No!

Lochsa and SF clearwater- either of these still have water?

I don't think so. Maybe ELF

EFSF/Goat creek- Will these be floatable?

Goat?? EFSF ??? But I'm thinking no.

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
There are no rivers in Idaho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015  

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
There are no rivers in Idaho.

More like there's no snow in eye de ho
Old 05-29-2015  

student
Well that's a bummer. Oh well, I can always just go on a hotspring tour and lap the payettes. Don't worry too much Idaho, boaters don't ever read these threads. People just come to mountain buzz to bitch about paddle rafting and talk about their yeti cooler sitting in their backyard.
Old 05-29-2015  

...or you could head out literally 2 days earlier and run (scrape, hike, drag, etc) the middle fork. It's really the only option that makes sense. If I need to call your work to explain the situation I will.
Old 05-29-2015  

Cascade, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
Goat Creek will be worthwhile if you run it on your way in to the SF. On the back end, it will probably be getting to the low side. EFSF will still be super fun and the yellowpine scene is pretty unbeatable. The Payettes are your other option if you're coming from the south and the upper 5 on the NF is still really fun at the lower flows we have and it's reasonable to get on and figure it out for yourself. Scout steepness from the road then scout every horizon line. Everything else is fun boogey. PM me when you're here and I may be able to go down there with you.