I want to build a surf wave - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2018   #1
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I want to build a surf wave

This little pool drop is in my back yard. Literally. The drop is about a 8” or a foot high right now and about 3 feet wide. The pool is just a little over waist deep and about 15 x 30 feet. When the runoff happens the water will come up about 2 vertical feet, about to the level of the cut log on the left side of the hole.
When the water comes up it makes a barely surfable curler.
My question is where should I place rocks to make a more surfable hole. I think the pool is too deep and I may need a rock pile in the middle to smooth the curl out. And maybe a few rocks to choke the top pool and raise the drop a little.
I’m sure there are buzzards out there with a better sense of hydrology than me. What do yall think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_165526a.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	739.7 KB
ID:	28522  

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
That my friend is a "pipe dream." Put down the lighter and step back. You need 500 cfs to even start dreaming.

You could drop a couple logs across the creek building a pool/pond above the log with a 6' wide notch in the center where the stream flows out. If you can get a 2' drop over your log damn then you just might be able to build a pour over???
Old 04-19-2018   #3
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Follow your dreams....
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018   #4

SW Colo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
when my kids were little we built in the "yard"

You will get a better wave if you try different angles on the drop.
martystecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I modified a drop in a local creek once.It sort of worked for a while ,but the first time flows were much higher it got washed apart.If it is not cemented in it will shift and fall apart.Sand bags ,on the other hand, might be more managable and flexible for a small scale project like thst.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
This is what I mean. As the water is coming up this hole will hold a boat for a while. It's too narrow to spin but it will front surf.
The roots of the trees funnel the drop into a rooster tail that bounces up from the bottom. I think that I can spread that wave out a little and move it back if I add some rocks in the right places. I'll have to wait till late summer though.
Attached Files
Old 04-28-2018   #7

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Good luck I'm not sure what the water law in Mt. but I'm pretty sure someone will come knock'n if you start digging around in the "creek" unless you own all the land around an no one can see what you're doing. In the west "Whiskey's fur drinking. Water's fur fight'n"!!
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote