I think the kern riverboard is a surfer and a hydrospeed - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-03-2018   #1

I think the kern riverboard is a surfer and a hydrospeed

http://www.kernriverboards.com/videos/ I’ve been looking at this it looks like it can do everything the anvil can do and more I think it’s a hydrospeed and a surfer.

Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018   #2

I think the kern riverboard is a surfer and a hydrospeed

That looks painful and idiotic to me. Turns out they make perfectly good kayaks for that shit but all the power to you!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018   #3

It looks like fun to me it’s the same kind of fun you can have on a kayak without all the rolling stuff, you might have to roll the riverboard but it’s not near as hard as rolling a kayak, plus i boogie boarded and I’m really good at it, this is same thing except in a river, can a kern riverboard do waterfalls like the anvil does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer242 View Post
It looks like fun to me itís the same kind of fun you can have on a kayak without all the rolling stuff, you might have to roll the riverboard but itís not near as hard as rolling a kayak, plus i boogie boarded and Iím really good at it, this is same thing except in a river, can a kern riverboard do waterfalls like the anvil does?
If you haven't figured it out yet there really isn't any river boarders on this site. Why don't you go buy one and run and waterfall and report back to us...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Gamer242,
  1. This is not Reddit. Please post these riverboard questions in one thread. You do not need to repost a new thread each day.
  2. Grammar is appreciated. If you don't respect your thoughts enough to write well, why should we?
  3. Many of us raft, some of us cataraft or row dories. A few kayak. Some canoe. You won't likely convince us to change our craft of choice, but we don't really care if you riverboard. It's your time and your money. Are you looking for confirmation before you buy one or trying to convince us to do it with you? Your posts are all over the place.
  4. Shin guards and elbow pads are your friends for riverboarding shallow rivers. Look at downhill mountain biking gear or hockey gear.
kthxbye.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018   #6

First. It's not sounding like you have much river experience, you need to go find other boaters to run with. While it's great you can boogie board, running the river is very different. If you don't know what you're doing one of us will end up having to rescue you or recover your body. Reading water on a board is very difficult, you can't see as well as kaykers. You also need to be in great shape, you are swimming and kicking the entire time. It's not like kayaking and you can't do everything they do. It's a great way to go down the river, but if you want a more diverse sport learn to kayak and roll. Find kayakers that you can trust and can learn from. Start at the play park, buy armor, be smart.

Second. Yes, very few riverboarders on the buzz besides myself and a few others. Go to Facebook and check out the "Riverboarders of the World" group. There's more conversation and you'll likely get the answers you want. I don't do much with riverboarding on the buzz, mostly rubber conversations.

Third. Kern makes one of the best flatboards same with Earthveins. Carlsons are fine, but very basic and made for firefighters doing rescues. Once you have the skills and equipment, yes a flatboard can do waterfalls. However, it's not the preferred riverboarding craft for that. You come off the board too easy and the protection is almost none.

The Anvil does great, but it's heavy and has little floatation compared to foam crafts. I spent many years on a flat board (RMR, not in production anymore) and ran everything from Browns to Gore Canyon on it. I make my own hydrospeeds now, and still use the Anvil depending on the water. Don't worry about posting on hydrospeeds, you can't find them in the US. Good luck!
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018   #7

actually I sort of know a little bit how to riverboard rapids. I know that you have to look for some v thing pointed down stream, I probably wouldn't start with hard stuff anyway, I'm probably gonna start out at one of those white water parks, maybe if I can handle those go challenge rivers like the guadalupe not too hard with some class 2s and 3s, I think I'm gonna get the anvil, and maybe the ripboard, I noticed kayakers prefer plastic over inflatable. I feel like hydrospeed isn't very common in the us because not very many people here know about it. I didn't know about riverboarding until new zealand, in fact I didn't know about a lot of sports until I went places outside of the us, I once saw these weird looking ski skates in italy, they look like skies with wheels on them. I think people in the us are more about ball sports, like football. Maybe it's because I've grown up in a lot of cities, and flat land.
Old 09-07-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I picked a bad day to stop huffing paint.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote