I need kayaking partners! - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I need kayaking partners!

My name is Liz Allen, I just moved to Denver from Asheville, NC and I need to meet some boaters. I work 14 days on then I have 14 days off. I'll be looking to travel for some whitewater April 20th-May 3rd if anyone is available. I like to consider myself a class 4 boater that can survive class 5, and yes I have ran the Green, many times. Let's play!

L.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
That's a killer schedule. Minus the fourteen on part.. Shouldn't be tuff. Go to escalate when it runs or embudo in Nude Mexico you will meet the community pretty easily by showing up to the runs. Usually it's like a rainbow gathering every weekend. everybody is following the same water in Colorado, which helps make it one of the best places to be for a boater. Like stafford told me showing up is half the battle obviously you want it if you are there so... Get a guide book read the guide book find the run you want to hit and search for the respective boaters. Throw out a lets paddle mo fo ad. Welcome boss have fun and show them CO sissies how to boof, please
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I would be up for dawn patrol any days sun-thurs. I can boat further areas Fri and Saturday. Working afternoons now from 2pm to 11pm. It would be nice to run Clear Creek or Bailey before work!

Josh
Three0three 98one-8607
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Ohh yes guide books have saved me thus far. Except I've only been occupying my time bouldering, but the boating season is right around the corner! I've been reading the whitewater of the southern rockies, excellent guidebook. Escalante looks very quality. Thanks for the beta, any advice helps!
Old 03-10-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Josh,

Bailey is actually the creek I'm the most eager to get on. I like to get an early start on runs, I'm used to getting up around 4:30 during my work weeks, so I'd love to get on some dawn patrol action with you. Any idea how to know when those creeks are running? Back home we had a website called boatingbeta, anything like that around here or is it all just AW?
Old 03-10-2013   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Welcome to CO - I'm a fellow East Coaster as well (Virginia). There's a solid crew of boaters from Colorado College in the Springs that will be hopping on Bailey after class and on weekends until the runoff really starts. Just shoot a PM if you're looking for a crew to do an afternoon lap with.

Here's the gauge for Bailey - Detail Graph

Anything above 200 usually goes. It's pretty low volume, like the Green. Gore on the other hand is an intro to more big water creeking.

- John
nessles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Here is a link to every gauge in the state

Colorado Division of Water Resources

Many stay iced over until later in the spring and many are unreliable. For Bailey you want this one: Detail Graph or this one Detail Graph
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Awesome, thanks Jon! I'd love to paddle with your crew. Maybe I can get a double header dawn patrol action and then an afternoon lap. That is an awesome angle of Go Left in your picture there. Is Gore similar to Cheoah? Upper Gauley was awesome this past September, but talk about an adrenaline rush.. I'm not used to big water.

Thanks for the gauge beta, I'll update my smart phone now
Old 03-10-2013   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Riverbrain.com is another good resource.

River List - River Brain
Old 03-10-2013   #10

Gore Canyon is comparable to the Upper Gauley in difficulty.

Gore is a shorter run if you exclude the flatwater paddle at the start, but there aren't the long breaks between rapids. Typical flows are about half as much on Gore, but the lines are tighter and a little steeper.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking