I have a dream (Pittsburgh newbie) - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2014   #1

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have a dream (Pittsburgh newbie)

So, I live less than three hours away from the mouth of the Gauley River, supposedly one of the best whitewater rivers on the East Coast. I think it's pretty ridiculous that I haven't been taking advantage of something like that, so here I am.

I have no whitewater paddling experience at all. I'm going to take lessons at Ohio Pyle, they offer Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced classes. I plan on taking all they have to offer as my budget and skill level allow. I want to buy a boat, but I figure my lessons will help me figure out what kind of kayak I should get for myself.

I guess I'm just writing this because I'm pretty pumped about the whole prospect of spending the next several months paddling around rivers. So, hey guys, what's going on

tyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014   #2

Get hooked up with the TRPC ( three rivers paddling club)
They have a website and forum but most the activity has moved to a Facebook page. They have a clinic that you need to take this summer..... Turkey Bash...... In Ohiopyle

Not much info on the Buzz for kayaking..... Just a bunch of rafters talking about pooping in boxes and how to build something you can buy for 12 cents cheaper.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #3

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Get hooked up with the TRPC ( three rivers paddling club)
They have a website and forum but most the activity has moved to a Facebook page. They have a clinic that you need to take this summer..... Turkey Bash...... In Ohiopyle

Not much info on the Buzz for kayaking..... Just a bunch of rafters talking about pooping in boxes and how to build something you can buy for 12 cents cheaper.
So you're telling me I found my new home?

I'll check out the TRPC, thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
There is plenty of kayaking on this site. Enjoy.
Old 06-10-2014   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Respect the gauley

The standard, after living in fayetteville for almost a decade goes..

If you can run fayette station 8-10 times with combat rolls, youre ready to run the New.

If you can run the New without problem from 2-14 ft gage level, youre ready for the Lower gauley and tentatively run the Upper.

Ive been on enough body recoveries on the Gauley to respect it. I absolutely love that river, but it can dish out quite a whomping. Good luck to you and we are all but between swims
JnnyHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #6

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnnyHart View Post
The standard, after living in fayetteville for almost a decade goes..

If you can run fayette station 8-10 times with combat rolls, youre ready to run the New.

If you can run the New without problem from 2-14 ft gage level, youre ready for the Lower gauley and tentatively run the Upper.

Ive been on enough body recoveries on the Gauley to respect it. I absolutely love that river, but it can dish out quite a whomping. Good luck to you and we are all but between swims
That's the kind of advice I came her for. Thanks a ton.
Old 06-10-2014   #7

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'm a beginning boater in Pittsburgh. Well I started two years ago, but been going real slow due to work, family, life.

Before taking lessons in Ohiopyle check out Jeff Prycl at Rocky Mountain Kayak In New Stanton. He offers Wednesday night roll and paddling lessons ($20 to use his gear - I think). He also does Sunday classes in Ohiopyle, not sure what those are like.

You just missed Slip Clinic, put on by TRPC. It is the first weekend in June. Turkey Bash is first weekend in August.

Not sure on your size, but I've seen a few used boats sale around the area. Buying used will get you on the water and, might allow you see what you like about it. You could likely sell it for what you paid a short time later if you found you liked a different boat. There is a handful of boats that most recommend for beginners: Burn (what I bought), Diesel, Remix, Hero, maybe Ammo (wife just got a used one and likes it. Nano is new model), Mamba.

Feel free to send me a PM.
Aggie930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
You have some good stuff pretty closer to you as well. The Yough, the North Branch of the Potomac, Cheat Narrows, Cheat Canyon and Big Sandy just to name a few....lots of other good sleeper runs as well will just a little more drive time as those^

Thats good advice on progression jnnyhart!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #9

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Thanks Aggie, I gave Rocky Mountain Kayak a call over my lunch break. I'm going to have to see if I can get out of work early a few Wednesdays, but I'm going to take advantage of that for sure.

Thanks for the heads up kanzam!
Old 06-10-2014   #10

Keystone, Colorado
Jeff is abrasive. But amazing teacher. The Sunday classes will definitely give you a beating, but they're worth it. He teaches you well and how to do things I've never witnessed in beginner classes I've taken out here with my friends. They're also free! Just buy him some dinner afterwards . I started last summer. In late June. And by the end of the season I was on the Lower Gauley.
Soupedupvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote