I Found A Wave Runner Diesel 70 on the Animas - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-07-2011   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I Found A Wave Runner Diesel 70 on the Animas

I lugged this heavy fucking kayak out of the Animas River(it was full of rocks, mud, and 30 or so gallons of water) in my packraft. It got pulled down from the middle box.

Parts inside(foot press) were torn from their frame and there is a 5 inch gash in the bottom. It had 4CRS and a phone number (not one i could read), so i looked up their number, told them i found their kayak, and let them come pick up this kayak i struggled so hard to retrieve. This "scrap plastic" (as it was referred to(not by me(duck tape over the gash would repair this short minor tear for most non-creek and non-low water in my opinion))) they removed from me was still quite functional.

I MAY get a discount or "something" if i go in soon enough and ask how appreciative the owner is.

I expect nothing in return, though i would like something in return........

Should i have kept this kayak? Finders keepers?

What might i reasonably expect/hope/wish/not expect from a prominent white water services company?

alexela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You gave something back that wasn't yours. Your karma is your reward. Don't be greedy.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
That is just what i felt as i did each part. But what is mine is yours is hers is his is mine is theirs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #4

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
There's a very long history of marine salvage law (thousands of years?) which would probably give you rights to the boat.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #5

Alexela,

Thanks for your hard work recovering the boat. I can offer you 50% off a kayak school class with us.

The boat was lost by a customer a couple of weeks ago. He had already paid for the boat so it's really his boat, not ours. He was there to pick it up the second it came back today.

The river community has always been very good about returning gear to people when there is legible contact information, so thank you for continuing the good habits.

-Drew Beezley
drewboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #6

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
You did the right thing by retrieving a kayak that you were in a position to get without endangering your self. Notifying the owner is the honorable course of action to take. As far as "Finders Keepers", a simple phrase comes to mind: Treat others as you would have others treat you. Hopefully not but, some day the shoe may be on the other foot. Expecting something in return, in my mind, is an incite of greed. Which is not an admirable quality. Chalk it up to river karma and move on.
Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
You did the right thing, yay you! Maybe down the road someone will rescue you or your gear.
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #8

Durango, Colorado
I have treated others as i would hope they would treat me if i owned a kayak and lost it and they found it. I know of no more karmacally inclined persons than i. Thank you for the 50% off of a kayak class. Though for a new kayak plus work time to return it (paddleing it to shore to drain/empty it and paddleing it in above recommended water in an undersized raft in possibly deadly water and still bothering to do anything withit but watch it float down river) i would like to at least borrow an inflatable or two person inflatable kayak for a day with a paddle. I cannot afford a kayak class, even at 50% off. A free kayak paddle or free raft trip through town for my girl and our puppies would be cool tho. Even later in the season, near the end of june, or july, so there are not so many tourists to accommodate.
Old 06-07-2011   #9
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexela View Post
A free kayak paddle or free raft trip through town for my girl and our puppies would be cool tho. Even later in the season, near the end of june, or july, so there are not so many tourists to accommodate.
haha
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #10

Durango, Colorado
ha ha because it would not be? Or is the haha about the fact that i hope for a free trip from corporate masters?

Tags
animas, lyons creek clinic