I can't afford a new Stomper seat - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2013   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2009
I can't afford a new Stomper seat

My Stomper 80 has a broken seat. LL says a new one retails for $319! Looking for someone with a broken Stomper or C-1 conversion that wants to sell their seat.

Mamba-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013   #2

. ., Kairotic
You should dump the Stomper and buy another kayak made by Jackson or Wave Sport or another more reliable brand. You might even go for the Mamba, Mamba-mama.

I’ve owned quite a few Liquid Logic boats (a Vision 56, a Jefe, a Stomper, two Remixes), but I won’t be purchasing a Liquid Logic boat again any time soon.

Which is unfortunate because many of my buddies paddle the Remix, and it is the boat of choice for many class V boaters on the Baker's Box section of the Animas in Durango and the North Fork of the Payette in Idaho. I personally recommended the boat to numerous friends, many of whom purchased a Remix, before I realized how cheaply it is made (I’ll take a seat that stays in place over one that feels like a sofa any day). I know my criticism and boycott is really nothing in the grand, overall scheme of Liquid Logic's sales, but with the financial difficulties Liquid Logic faced just a few years ago every customer should count.

The shoddy outfitting, unreliable construction, apathetic customer service, and pecuniary agenda have shaken my faith in Liquid Logic's products. My Remix is barely a year old and the seat constantly detaches and slides back and forth, the plastic in the bow has creased, and the folks at Liquid Logic could care less. When I contacted them about the crease in the bow, the rep astutely noted that I had “piton-ed” the boat and advised me to keep paddling it. Sure I’ve hit some rocks, but I’ve never swam in the boat and I haven’t dropped any gigantic waterfalls onto boulders.

I won't be "totally still paddling" the Remix, as the rep recommended. I'll be paddling my Recon and buying a Karma. You’d be making a good move to do likewise.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't have anything against LL, but that's what happens when they put a Lazy Boy in the cockpit...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013   #4

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have that outfitting in a busted jefe. It looks like you're not in Colorado but if you want the boat you can have it, just have to come get it.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Is the seat totally busted or can you fix it? I ran into this after I broke my 3rd LL seat. A trip to the hardware store, a drill and 2 hours of drinking beer in my garage the seat is more bomber than it ever was.

Liquid Logic has some of the best hulls in the industry & the Remix is a awesome boat. I really love the Remix and have been paddling one for 4 year.

I do agree with what fullmer is saying though. I won't be buying a LL anytime in the near future. In the last couple months I have sold my newer Remix and put another boat on order that isn't LL. I feel like I'm braking up with a girlfriend after 4 years of seeing each other but I know in my heart it's the right more and time to move on. The grass isn't always greener but I feel confident it is in this case. Only one way to find out.

Good luck with your seat Mamba-mama.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #6

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I recently purchased an new Freeride 57. It came off the shelf with a set of broken seat rail clamps. When I emailed them, they were well aware of the problem as they have redesigned the slug that tightens the seat in place(for adjusting seat). The first one was made of plastic with a brass insert that you screw into to tighten the seat. When you tightened it, the brass insert just pulled right out and proceeded to grind down the rail that it rests in. Now I think the customer service was good. Took me just over a week to get new rails and slugs. New slugs are solid brass. Pretty bomber. My problem is this: If LL knew about this problem while they still had defective boats sitting at dealers' shops, why don't they send these dealers the new slugs to swap out with the old pos slugs BEFORE they sell the boat? I love my Freeride, but probably won't be buying another LL boat anytime soon. This was my second new LL boat in 3 years. First one was defective as well. What ever happened to thoroughly testing a product BEFORE it's released to market?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-525538596.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	6834
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS. View Post
I recently purchased an new Freeride 57. It came off the shelf with a set of broken seat rail clamps. When I emailed them, they were well aware of the problem as they have redesigned the slug that tightens the seat in place(for adjusting seat). The first one was made of plastic with a brass insert that you screw into to tighten the seat. When you tightened it, the brass insert just pulled right out and proceeded to grind down the rail that it rests in. Now I think the customer service was good. Took me just over a week to get new rails and slugs. New slugs are solid brass. Pretty bomber. My problem is this: If LL knew about this problem while they still had defective boats sitting at dealers' shops, why don't they send these dealers the new slugs to swap out with the old pos slugs BEFORE they sell the boat? I love my Freeride, but probably won't be buying another LL boat anytime soon. This was my second new LL boat in 3 years. First one was defective as well. What ever happened to thoroughly testing a product BEFORE it's released to market?

Attachment 6834
I think we can all agree that those plastic nuts are a bad design. The previous designed seats are even worse if you can believe that. I broke 2 of the older seats and one of the newer. To LL's credit they are doing a great job getting people those metal nuts. They have no control over the dealer checking to see of all their boats sold have been updated with the recalled nuts. It could put some people in a very sketchy situation. It put me in a semi sketchy situation for sure when I shattered those plastic nuts in the first mile of a walled in 6 mile class IV/V section. We all make mistakes. Just seems like LL is making more mistakes than the other manufacturers with sub par engineering than most.

Their hulls are some of the best designs out there. If they are upgrade their plastic and outfitting they would easily have the best boats on the market in my opinion.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #8

Pretty bomber. My problem is this: If LL knew about this problem while they still had defective boats sitting at dealers' shops, why don't they send these dealers the new slugs to swap out with the old pos slugs BEFORE they sell the boat?

Hey all, as a LL dealer, (as well as other brands) I should say that LL did alert us to the problem and sent us a big box of repair/ replacement hardware inculuding new milled slugs and rails. We did our best to replace the hardware in boats still in the shop and called folks who bought boats that spring to bring them in so we could replace them, (just finished a stomper from somebody who bought elsewhere yesterday.) So, not making excuses for them but they did strive to make an effort. As for their transition to a new facility, it definitely messed with availability and some quality control,especially since they had to train a bunch of new staff, but it seems like they have finally gotten ahead of it and are on the right track. They are still very easy to deal with, (as a dealer at least), and I'm glad we have them in our shop.
Thanks,
Andy
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
In my experience, I still had problems with the improved slugs. The seat would slip at the least convenient moments (I could only get the bolts so tight before I was running the risk of stripping the head).
I ended up fixing the problem by removing the slugs, roughing up their surface with a coarse file, then replacing them.
robinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #10

. ., Kairotic
Wow, I was pretty grumpy last night.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Remix, and I would buy another one IF the seat attachment were fixed. It's just frustrating, and dangerous, that the seat design with the rails and slugs is so poor.

Thanks for the tip robinj. I'll try this.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote