Hyside Paddle Cat (shredder)? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2008   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hyside Paddle Cat (shredder)?

Have any of you guys paddled Hyside's shredderlike craft? I saw one last year, and have been thinking about getting one to run some lower volume stuff, or just to R2 around with and not have to screw with the trailer, etc. I like that it is hypalon, and I can roll it up and store it vs. Jack's Plastic's version.

Any feedback? Anyone know anyone trying to sell one used? Anyone ever run smaller creeks in one?

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008   #2

vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Have any of you guys paddled Hyside's shredderlike craft? I saw one last year, and have been thinking about getting one to run some lower volume stuff, or just to R2 around with and not have to screw with the trailer, etc. I like that it is hypalon, and I can roll it up and store it vs. Jack's Plastic's version.

Any feedback? Anyone know anyone trying to sell one used? Anyone ever run smaller creeks in one?
There's a river guide at Timberline Tours in Eagle named Wizz from NZ who has several of these Hyside shredders to sell. He should be back in the US any day. Leave message at 328 6161 10a-4pm
gkelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Thanks Greg, I'll check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Those boats are sweet. I looked at one and almost bought it, however I did not like the floor set up. One thing I did not notice at first is that the "floor" sits really low on the tubes (well below mid-point). If you look at the pics, this is not easy to see. The JPW shredders site alot higher out of the water. The JPW shredders are cramped, but seem to be a better design.

Check out one first hand before you buy it.

Dan
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Dan,

I agree try them both as they are different designs, but I think the hyside with the lower floor has a few advantages. With the lower floor you have more room, which will give you more personal stability i.e. less chance of getting dumped out, as well as you will have a lower center of gravity which I feel gives the boat better stability.

The hyside design reminds me quite a bit of my Colorado Headwaters Stinger, although the hyside is about 20 pounds heavier.

WhiteLightning you should get one you will love it, I have taken mine down all kinds of fun runs, and if you want you can R-1 it and not worry about finding a paddle partner.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have paddled the Big Rocker Shredder and the JPW Culebra. I'm 6'5", and the lower attachment points on the Shredder's floor compared to the Culebra's was a game changer in a positive way. A lower foot position is both way more comfortable (and didn't cause my inside leg to go numb) and more stable (lower foot position means you don't fall out as easy). The shredder design has been proven on a lot of rivers and the Hyside looks very similar. There is one on display at AAA Inflatables in Denver. Definitely look at it before you buy it. Personally I would be tempted to get the Shredder instead.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #7

I own one of "wiz's" prototypes and I THINK I got the last one last August but he may get more this year!

very nimble and will do class 5 for sure!

definitely has advantage over the "shredder"
1. longer tube and waterline
2. Hypalon vs neoprene

have not fully tested it in the meat but took it down lawson and numbers at lower water and it slices thru shit like butter! makes Lawson feel like class 2
may have to keep running the mini-me at low water for fun factor!

we should round up a bunch of us with stingers,shredders, hyside paddlecats,etc (other small rubber crafts) and float then everyone can test and compare! do some BBQ and beers too?
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
definitely has advantage over the "shredder"
1. longer tube and waterline
2. Hypalon vs neoprene
The shredder is 12'4" according to the brochure that Tom Love (the owner of Airtight Inflatables who makes the Shredder) sent me. Hyside says their boat is 12'. So the Paddle Cat dosen't have a longer tube, it has a shorter tube.

The Shredder comes in three models, two are rockered for easier turning and have shorter water lines, but the straight tube Shredder, from which Hyside appears to have copied the design, has a longer waterline. Rockered tubes turn faster, straighter tubes hold angles better - the Shredder gives you the choice of which you prefer. A lot of people running class IV-V creeky stuff will probably value faster turns over direction holding.

As far as Hypalon being superior to Neoprene - that is fairly thin ice. They are fairly similar synthetic rubber compounds. Many inflatable manufacturers use neoprene coating on the inside of their tubes and Hypalon on the outside. Hypalon is probably the better coating for the outside of the tubes, but the difference is minimal. And any meaningful comparison between them would also have to include the properties of the base fabrics that the neoprene or Hypalon coating is being appiled to. Both Hyside and Airtight have been making quality boats for decades.

If someone offered me a great deal on either boat I would go for it, but I don't think the Hyside offers any actual advantage over the Shredder. In fact with the three Shredder models you can probably get a better fit from Airtight Inflatables. My 2.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #9

well I own the hyside and a friend has an airtight inflateables
comparing the 2 side by side (I Imagine that there may be some changes to mine as it was produced privately and AA seems to may have changed over times also?
1. my hyside is longer than the AA
2. hyside has longer water line
3. Hydie has 4 D rings AA has looped fabric
3. as raftus mentioned fabric can be similar but if you paddle them both there is a big diff in performance (i think) the hypalon is more rigid and does not need to be topped off alot as my friends does it is very spongy, the aa being kind of spongy slides over rocks easier (round ones any way) while the hyside can stick and spin a little but is more durable

also they both maneuver so incredibly fast that having a shorter line for creeking does not concern me before you know it in either of them you can be spun around and surfed! the hyside will give you a little more speed if you need it! I think in higher water or in nastier rapids I would much rather be in the Hyside (plus you can get them easier I imagine the wait for a year on an aa is still the norm????) either way if you can pick one of these suckkers up do it like Raftus said! very fun, very unique!

it is really preference though as everyone has opinions thats why I think we should get together in afew days and hit lawson (only 30 min run) or something and try each others out? I almost bought a Culubra but have not paddled it nor the stinger!!! then we can chat our opions over beer not internet waves!!

anyone wanna shred clear creek this spring give a shout we go out 3-5 times a week at least!!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #10

Eagle County, Colorado
Does the Hyside come with footcups or something like that? At the company I guide with, we have an old Avon shredder-like craft, and it just had kind of a round hole in the floor that you can grip with your toes. It doesn't seem like the best way of doing things.

The reason I was thinking Hyside, is that it probably is easier to get one, and quicker, I might be able to order with outfitter/guide discount or find used, and my Hyside 13ft raft is super bomber. Plus I like being able to fold or roll it up in the winter.