Hug your dog - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2006   #1

Durango, Colorado
Hug your dog

I witnessed some really messed up shit yesterday. I was out on the river tubing since it's a bit low for boating, with a bunch of buddies in the afternoon and was having a great time...kicked back quite a few beers and was feeling good about it. We ran through Smelter, and stopped for a bit while some of our group went up to do it again (this was the first time through Smelter for a few of them). I opted to just stay in the water and stay warm. About 10 minutes passed, and something in my gut told me something wasn't right, so I got out to go check on them. On the way back up I ran into a girl from my group and saw the look on her face. Immediately I knew that someone was dead, just from her expression, so I took of running. Got up to the rapid and across the river was one of the guys from my group plus three other people trying to resucitate a Terrier. Apparently, just as my group was walking back up to do Smelter again, some guy came through with the Terrier on his lap, flipped and went under, along with the dog. Well, I'm not going to make any rude comments towards the guy, but let's just say he wasn't being very smart and had his dog on both collar AND leash. Well the leash got wrapped around a rock on river right and drug the dog down, where he stayed for between 3 and 5 minutes until they got to him. The guy in my group who went to help said that as soon as he started doing CPR on the dog, it just started foaming blood from the mouth. It was the biggest buzz kill having to watch that guy carry his dead dog all the way down to the parking lot. He lost his best friend because of a stupid mistake. So to all you dog lovers, go give your dog a hug and don't be stupid when it comes to dogs on the river. Get them a PFD, take off their collar and for gods sake, don't take them tubing.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006   #2

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I'll second that after a negative dog on westwater experince a few years ago, I even found an old avi beacon for my dog so he can skin with me in the winter.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #3

Lyons, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Very sad......and good advice.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchaos
I'll second that after a negative dog on westwater experince a few years ago, I even found an old avi beacon for my dog so he can skin with me in the winter.
I hope that by old avy beacon you mean a beacon that is on the old frequency (ie, you have 2 old beacons, one for him and one you carry separate from your "real" beacon). I'd hate for people to be searching and find your dog and not the human that is buried.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #5

e-town, Colorado
Its an issue for sure, but i like to stick with plan A, dont get caught in a slide, and always let the dog go first!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #6
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=952
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #7
Lurker

Durango, Colorado
THis is my First post.....

BUt I saw that entire thing go down start to finish. Very sad having to watch him pull that limp dog out off the river.

I stuck around a bit and saw him take the dog to his car..... outta state plates..... They doesn't have to do with anything but that's a big rapid and people go down it all the time in tubes with no PDF's..... I got some dirty looks before I took out when I gave some tubers some advice about "Knowing your limits" and "Respecting the River"

Maybe those peps where in your group storm but when I saw them after the incident the looks on their faces had changed.

Peace
clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clone

Maybe those peps where in your group storm but when I saw them after the incident the looks on their faces had changed.

Peace
Could have been...none of them are really river saavy people and thus don't have the respect for moving water that the rest of us have, which is unfortunate because shit like this happens as a result. They were giving me shit for wearing my PFD earlier that day...not a single one of them has said mum about it since.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote