"It is high time to put the 'man' back in mank" - Yakalop Numchuk
Headwaters Paddling Association
2008 Quakenbake on September 13th,2008.
We are hosting a downriver race on the Quake Lake section of the Madison River with shuttles running all day for non-competitors and a "best line" through S-Turn event rounding out the day. The main focus of the Quakenbake, however, is to get a large cross section of the local paddling community together for some serious festivities, regardless of whether that paddler is racing, running quake at his/her leisure, or just enjoying the show. Forest Service is on board with the event and also with friends/spectators, insurance is locked, and the campground is booked.
This is a much more open event than the Big T race, so if you have people interested in checkin' it out, bring 'em on... There is a great viewing area overlooking the crux class V rapid.
Mesa Falls and Sheep Falls run on the Henry's Fork should be in for Sunday as well as the Beartrap Canyon section on the Madison.
Breakdown is like this:
Friday evening - September 12th
- Pre-event at the Beaver Creek Campground. We have the entire A-loop (25 sites) reserved.
Saturday, September 13th -
- Shuttles start running/sign-in begins at put- in
- Sign in closes/ shuttles stop runnin' (Except back to top for racers...)
Crack O' Noon
- Race begins - one minute intervals between competitors. Three safety boats in the water near and in S-Turn/Two throwbaggers.
1 PM or so
- Shuttles resume for all
- Top ten or fifteen competitors start second run. Combined best two times wins.
2:30 or so
- Best line through S-Turn. Five judges score 1-20 on competitors line through S-Turn. One shot. Closest to one hundred wins. Tie to be broken with 2 of 3 Ro-Sham-Bo with bootie consequences at campground.
5:30 or so
- Cookout and keg tapping at campground. Several local microbrews on hand. Burgers, brauts, tons of baked potatoes and fixin's, chips etc... Followed by a whoopjamboree and hootenany.
$30 for competitors
includes Insurance, T-shirt, BBQ, Camping (Fri. and Sat.) and Brew
$20 for spectators/friends of racers
includes Camping, BBQ, and Brew
We could not care less about what boat you want to race.
Start is last standing tree in the lake, finish is your bow hitting white at surfing wave below S-Turn
One racer sent every minute, best combined two runs wins.
You must be in the top fifteen to reach the final heat.
It is a class V race with sharp ass rocks.
Please contact Jason and company at River Source Outfitters at 406.222.5268 or Dave at 406.599.8977 with any questions about the Quakenbake and please give us an email if you know you are coming so we can arrange a site for you and the crew and also so that we can get some rough estimate for grub, etc.
Still could use a few more safety boaters for rotation (you can definitely race, too) and also just some general help with timing, radios, finish line etc. [email protected] [email protected]
This is a bare-bones, grassroots op firing on all cylinders, so please, pay your way and if you can help out with safety and what not, get in touch with us.
Thanks and we look forward to seeing you out there - HPA