hows it looking ??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2013   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
hows it looking ???

how we doing on snow pack??? supposed to snow till tuesday. heard we were at 80 some percent for buene vista a couple weeks ago ? whats the facts ? im pacing for kayaking season.....

Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013   #2

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #3

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
not bad huh ! cmon snow !! whoo hoo. thanks brother
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This thread:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...yet-46154.html

has been continually updated with snow pack conditions this winter.

Snotel stations have not updated the graphs since this last storm...yet, but I would be willing to wager the Arkansas Basin will have caught up to, or passed last years snow pack and should be in the vicinity of 80% of average. Not going to be a banner year by any means, but we are certainly looking better all the time.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #5

Arkansas and S Platte overall numbers are 90% of last year currently. The notable change this past week is that northwestern basins are now doing better than the San Juans relative to last year.

Colorado SNOTEL Snowpack Comparison Update Report
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #6

not bad? Last year was terrible, and we aren't even to last years levels. Things are getting better, but we need snow.

Remember last year followed one of the wettest years ever. This year the soil is drier, the trees have less water content and the reservoirs are lower. Each of these are going to soak up the little water that melts and prevent it from reaching the river. I hate to be negative, but we need to start doing some human sacrifices or something to appease the spring snow gods.

I for one am willing to sacrifice my liver to the gods of snow. Its the least I can do.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #7

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Soon they get my hip and that'd better help
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Looking better!

"Friday through Sunday ~It may be southwest Colorados turn~ --A Gulf of Alaska low pressure system drops in through and offshore from California, causing an unsettled pattern across Colorado, with some light snow developing on Friday for northern Colorado, and more moderate snow possible across southwest Colorado. On Saturday and Sunday this low pressure system may move across the desert southwest, favoring southwest Colorado with possibly significant snow and delivering mostly light snow for northern Colorado. CM"

LONG RANGE FORECAST DISCUSSION:

"-29 Mar to 03 Apr, 2013 - Early April (the following week) looks initially stable under high pressure as the last storm move away, with more spring conditions under mostly sunny skies expected. An unsettled, busy pattern develops again after a few days or so of sun (in the first few days of April) with snow storms moving through again as a low pressure trough becomes more of a dominant factor across the western US again. The potential for significant storms is there.CM"

Now 102% of last year and 81% of normal with more storms in the pipeline, hopefully they keep on coming... we might actually see some runoff if this keeps up!
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #9

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
FWIW and totally anecdotal:
Toured Hwy 133/82 yesterday. Not much snow over towards Aspen. Crystal Valley looks sad. Sopris sadder. Chair quite thin. Raggeds, too. West Elks maybe a tad better. Runoff started per color of Crystal and Muddy, but not Avalanche (Gunny Basin). If anyone asks, didn't see ice on the Crystal or Roaring Fork but had the hammer down so could have missed some. Heard Shosho was low but OK.

I think we all need to schedule a virtual party: All at the same time pull the ring on a PBR, Schlitz, Old Mil, Tecate. Corona, Fat Tire and boutiques don't count. 'cept maybe Gillies. Only rotgut. Prolly missed this full moon. Next? Don't think we should moon the moon though. We might be crazy but the Gods aren't. Include campfire, meat and Scnapps. All pull then howl. Takers?
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey, I know some of you may be bumming since the snowpack still looks low and most basins need 300-600% of normal precipitation for the rest of the season to reach peak. However, after doing some research into the Cenozoic era, I see that around 50 million years ago there were some years that had major precip events that brought around 10000% of average snowfall in the region. There's a good chance that a similar event in April will not only bring our snowpack up to normal, but even surpass it! Get out your big water boats boys and girls; I'm looking forward to a huge runoff this spring!
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote