How to value used rafts - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-13-2012   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
How to value used rafts

Hello friends,
I am looking at purcahsing some used boats from a company and I am trying to figure out what they are really worth. It seems difficult to find a benchmark for how used rafts are valued. I'm looking at some NRS e-150 series that are in pretty decent shape and about 5 years old.

Anyone have an idea of what these would be worth? No patches or anything just a little bit of wear from where the frames sit. The price he is asking seems a little steep so I am looking for advice from people who know more than me....which isn't that much!

Thanks for the help!

engine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012   #2

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
How much is he asking? Were they used commercially? On what rivers? Do the baffles work? How were the rafts stored in the offseason?
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
$3,300 a piece. 4 years of commercial use on the Lower Animas in Durango, which isn't too hard on boats. Baffles are good, boats are rolled in the winter.
engine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
A 4 year old E series with good baffles, good I-beams in the floor, and not much wear could be a lifetime boat with 20 or so river days a year. It will also take some TLC to make this happen. The problem comes in where the outfitter selling the raft paid about 3500 bucks for it. 5300 retail. I would offer 3k for the best in the fleet. They WILL sell them regardless.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #5

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
That doesn't sound like a smoking deal but it also isn't totally unreasonable. You should check the NRS Gearswap page to get an idea of what used rafts are going for these days. Prices span the gamut so its really just what a seller will sell it for and a buyer is willing to pay. If you are buying multiple rafts from him, I would think that he could do a little better than that, given that he probably got a pro deal on them.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #6
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
GCGuide has a good point that the outfitter did not pay retail and also had the use of the boats for 5 years. Not sure what to say, but they are good boats. Two of my hard-core rafting buddies have E150's and they're working good and holding up well with proper care. If you're buying the fleet, offer 2200 each and hold firm to about 2600. If you're trying to buy just one, he may not dip below 3. Good used boats are hard to find, though, so if you need a boat pay what you're willing to pay and go have a good time. Like Dylan said - - "Don't look back."
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #7
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
PS, forgot to ask or mention - - are the boats painted with company logo? If so this really detracts from their value.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I hate people who rip you off because they can
Old 02-14-2012   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
didn't know an Nrs 15 footer
NRS E-150 Self-Bailing Rafts at NRSweb.com

is worth $800 more than a 14 foot Avon.
Avon Inflatables

There have some great deals here that have been popping up. An E-140 for $600 less and looks good if you can tolerate yellow. I couldn't.

NRS Self-Bailing Paddle Raft Package - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Here is a 14 foot Nrs Otter with oars and frame for $700 less
Show Ad | - 14' NRS Raft For Sale - CA - Kernville - USA - RaftsNRS Community

Sotar outfitter for $2500
Show Ad | - Sotar 14ft ST and 12 ft SL - CA - Angels Camp - USA - RaftsNRS Community

Do you need the 15 footer? Need to carry 3 people and you for a week at a time?
Are you day boating? Fishing? For light duty I would want a 13 or 14 footer. My buddy does 6-7 days and GC trips in his Avon 14 foot.

A 15 footer would be perfect for me doing high water Middle Fork Salmon trips and very low flow fall trips. It's just a little big for day tripping. Unless you have six or seven people to put in a paddle boat. Just thinking out loud here. I don't know what you want to do. Have you done multiday trips? Getting ready? Then it is the right size.

All depends.

For the original raft I think $2,200 to $2,500 would be my max. Take cash. Nothing talks like the Benjamins.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Outfitters pay what, anywhere from 25-40% below retail price, depending on volume? Retail raft prices increase somewhere between 3-5% a year. Plus what about tax depreciation.
Most outfitters sell their used rafts for at least what they paid for them, if not more more, assuming they are in good condition, right? In short, they sell them for the going market rate.

Does that mean they're ripping people off? Or are they doing what any business does, sell a product for the going rate?
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote